Chapter 37

____________________________________

Hey," Kinsey grunts out as the ball makes a slapping sound against the palm of her hand as it lands heavy but swiftly into her grip.

James' eyes subtly direct towards the blonde standing almost twenty yards away from him. No words come out of his mouth as his face maintains the same blank expression he's had on since Kinsey picked him up this morning for their routine Saturday morning training at the high school field. The brunette barely uttered words besides, 'Hey', 'I'm fine', and various other mumbles throughout the entire car ride to the field, alarming Kinsey all the more.

Kinsey can understand why he is still hurt by what she said and that is the main reason why she wanted to come out to practice in the first place. To play the game they both love.

Of course, she was surprised once he ultimately hopped into her car after she blew up his phone with almost thirty calls and texts but she knew that he couldn't say no to her persistent ass. If there's one thing Kinsey is proud of about herself is her persistence.

The fact of the matter is that Kinsey simply wants to be back in her best friend's good graces because the truth is, she doesn't seem to feel right when they don't talk. James has always been there for her and feeling as though she can't talk to him leaves her with an unsettling heavy feeling in her heart.

And, that is why they are out here. Kinsey wants to fix everything, but by the looks of things, it doesn't seem to be that easy with the six-foot-tall boy staring apathetically at her after being out here for almost an hour.

Kinsey deeply sighs and shakes her head, refusing to toss the ball back but instead sitting it on her waist, wedging it in with her wrist, "You can't keep ignoring me."

"I'm not ignoring you. I'm here, aren't I?" James replies with a slight frown present. His eyes looking a little sunken as well as Kinsey takes a closer look at the boy's facial features from her distance.

Kinsey gives him a deadpan expression, "Really? You're gonna be like that. Y'know, you're really acting like a little bitch," Kinsey seethes without thinking, allowing her unbridled annoyance consume her.

James's eyes immediately widen in initial surprise but then his brow raises once processing that this is coming from Kinsey.

Fuck, I'm never good at this apology shit. Kinsey has never been good at words and this outburst right here is a prime example of that. What she meant to relay was, 'I can't help the way you're looking at me because it makes me feel like a shitty person and my bitchass can't handle that'.

This is why, oftentimes, she resorts to speaking her mind unapologetically, with no emotions attached. She doesn't like feeling bad for the shit that comes out of her mouth.