Chapter 3

"You can't send one of us home!" Uraraka argued. "We just got here! It's not fair!"

"Oh, and you think natural disasters are? Or power-hungry villains? Or catastrophic disasters that wipe out entire cities? Hm?" Aizawa questioned, causing everyone to go quiet. "No. The world's full of unfairness. It's a hero's job to combat that unfairness. If you wanna go pro, you're gonna have to push yourself past your limit. For the next three years, UA will throw hardship after hardship at you, so go beyond. Plus ultra style. Show me it's not a mistake that you're here."

The first test was the 50-meter dash.

Noriko watched as Iida and a girl with frog-like features, Tsuyu, went first. Iida completed it first with a time Noriko didn't think anyone was going to beat. After that Uraraka and the boy with a tail, Ojiro, went. Then a boy named Aoyama and a girl named Mina went.

After that, Bakugo and Midoriya went. Bakugo propelled himself forward with explosions, but Midoriya just ran like anyone would. Noriko wasn't sure if it was just because his quirk wouldn't work well with this test or if he just didn't want to use his quirk for some other strange reason.

Noriko pushed the thought out of her mind when it was her turn to run the 50-meter dash, with her was a boy with blond hair named Kaminari. When the gun fired, Noriko quickly froze the ground in front of her and skated across it. When she finished the ice she had skated on instantly started melting. She checked her time and found she had finished in 4.54 seconds and Kaminari had finished in 5.35.

After that was the grip strength test, which Noriko got an average score on after finding no way to use her quirk. Then, the next test was the standing long jump. Like before, Noriko couldn't find a way to use her quirk and made it just past the pavement. The next test after that was the repeated side steps. Noriko didn't know how to use her quirk for this test but was easily able to get a good score simply because of the amount of dancing she had to do for rehearses and concerts.

Finally, they made it to what everyone was looking forward to, the ball throw test. First, Uraraka went. When she threw the ball, it never came back down. Noriko stared at the infinity symbol that Aizawa showed them on his device, a few other students muttering things behind her as Uraraka rejoined the group. After that, a few more students went before it was Noriko's turn.

Noriko stepped up into the circle and took a deep breath. She needed to get a good score on this test since she hasn't really found good ways to majority improve her scores with her quirk yet. But this time, she had an idea.

Noriko reeled her arm back and threw the ball before quickly creating a hawk out of ice. It flew up into the sky to where the ball was starting to fall. It grabbed the ball with its talons and kept flying. The bird shattered once it was out of the range of Noriko's quirk. When Aizawa showed the class and Noriko her score she felt a sense of pride. 643.7 meters. It was way further than Noriko thought it would be.

A few more students went before it was Midoriya's turn. Noriko had noticed how he didn't seem to be using his quirk at all. Nearly everyone in the class had at least used their quirk once or twice, but it almost seemed like he wasn't sure what he was doing at all. Noriko just found it strange. And when Midoriya went to throw the ball, it only went as far as it would for anyone not using their quirk.

"I was definitely trying to use it," Noriko heard Midoriya mutter as he looked at his hand in shock.

"I erased your quirk," Aizawa said, his eyes red and his hair floating in the air. That's when Noriko realize why Aizawa had seemed faintly familiar. He was the pro hero Eraserhead. A lot of the heroes Shiro was a fan of were less flashy heroes, including Eraserhead, so she had heard a bit about the hero.

Aizawa then lectured Midoriya about how he can't keep breaking his bones every time he uses his quirk if he wants to become a hero. Noriko didn't really process half of what Aizawa said to him; partially because she knew nothing about Midoriya and partially because she wasn't paying attention. Once he finished talking, he let Midoriya try again. This time, the ball soared through the air. It ended up going further than Bakugo's throw by .3 meters. Noriko thought it was pretty impressive until she saw that Midoriya's finger was broken.

He broke his finger with that throw? Noriko thought with a frown. Is that a normal drawback of his quirk or does he not have control over it?

Noriko snapped out of her thoughts when she heard yelling.

"Hey, tell me what's going on Deku, you bastard!" Bakugo shouted, running at Midoriya, who looked horrified. "Tell me how you did that or you're dead!"

But before Bakugo could get very far, Aizawa's scarf appeared, holding back the explosive boy.

"Why the hell is your scarf so damn strong?" Bakugo growled, trying to pull at the scarf.

"It's a captured weapon made of a special metal alloy," Aizawa explained. "Stand down. It's best you avoid making me use my quirk too much. It gives me serious dry eye." Aizawa deactivated his quirk and his scarf returned to its place around his shoulders. "You're wasting my time, whoever's next can step up."

The rest of the students finished up the ball throw before they finished the last few tests. Sit-ups, seated toe touch, and a long-distance run. By the end of it, Noriko and the rest of her class were standing in front of Aizawa, awaiting the results. Noriko felt pretty confident about how she did. The last few tests had been a breeze for her thanks to the surprising amount of physical training she got just by being Nora.

"Alright, here are your results. I've ranked you all from best to worst. You probably have a good idea of where you're standing already. I'll just show you the whole list. There's no need to go over each score individually." Aizawa said before pulling up a holographic screen that showed everyone's scores. Noriko released a breath she hadn't realized she'd been holding when she saw her name next to the number 9.

Ninth place. She had managed to come in ninth place even with the little preparation she had done for the class.

"Just so you know, I was lying about the whole expulsion thing," Aizawa said once the screen disappeared. "It was a rational deception to draw out the limit of your quirks. Now we're done here. There are handouts with the curriculum and such in the classroom. So you should look over them."

Noriko let out a sigh as she followed the rest of the class back to the classroom. It was only the first day and things had already been hectic. Noriko had a feeling the hero course would end up taking a lot of time away from her career, whether she liked it or not.