Chapter 40

When finals week finally arrived, Noriko wished that there'd be some surprise and the exams would be moved back a week. Ryu had done his best to make the week as school-focused as possible, but she still only had the car ride to and from the recording studio of a talk show to study the day before the exams. When it came time for the written exam, Noriko was relieved she had gone to Yaoyorozu's study session because she had a feeling she would've done much worse had she not gone.

Soon, the three days of written exams went by and she was standing in her hero costume in front of all the teachers for the practical exam. She had a strange feeling that there would be more to the practical than just fighting robots that made her wish her intuition was wrong as Aizawa started talking.

"Now then, let's begin the last test," Aizawa started. "Remember, it's possible for you to fail this final. If you wanna go to camp, then don't make any mistakes."

"Uh, why are all the teachers here?" Jiro questioned.

"I expect many of you have gathered information and believe you have some idea of what you'll be facing today," Aizawa said, Noriko feeling a mix of disappointment and dread, knowing that he was probably about to tell them they weren't just fighting robots.

Nezu suddenly popped out of Aizawa's scarf, interrupting Kaminari and Mina's cheering about fighting robots, "Actually this year's test will be completely different!" Kaminari and Mina froze, looking like they had been turned to stone as Nezu climbed down Aizawa using his scarf, "The tests now have a new focus. There will be hero work of course, but also teamwork and combat between actual people. So what does that mean for you? You students will be working in pairs and your opponents will be one of your teachers!"

"Additionally, your partners and opponents have already been chosen. They were determined at my discretion based on various factors including fighting style, grades, and interpersonal relationships." Aizawa continued as Noriko felt like her world was about to fall apart. Fighting robots would've been fine, but fighting their pro-hero teachers? She had barely done much training. She had been so worried about the written exam that the practical slipped her mind. And it hadn't helped that she had believed they were just going to fight robots too.

Noriko's thoughts were interrupted as the teams were announced in the order they were fighting in. Noriok felt like she wanted to throw up when she heard she was going to be the first one fighting. She was paired with Kirishima and would be fighting against Cementoss. Her mind immediately went to trying to figure out how her and Kirishima were supposed to fight Cementoss when her ice wouldn't do anything and Kirishima probably won't be able to just bulldoze his way through tons of cement walls forever.

The other teams were announced, with Tsu and Tokoyami being next against Ectoplasm. Then Iida and Ojiro against Power Loader. Yaoyorozu and Todoroki against Aizawa. Uraraka and Aoyama against Thirteen. Kaminari and Mina against Nezu. Jiro and Kota against Present Mic. Hikagure and Shoji against Snipe. Mineta and Sero against Midnight. And finally Bakugo and Midoriya against All Might.

"To complete the exam, you'll have thirty minutes," Nezu explained. "In order to win, you must put these handcuffs on your teacher. Or you can win if one of you manages to escape from the combat stage."

The teachers then explained how it was ok to run away and that they should keep that in mind in instances where they were outmatched. It was also explained how Hatsume from the support course had created weights that would eat up their stamina and give the students a handicap.

"Let's begin. The teams will take the practical exam in the order you were called. We have a stage prepared for you." Aizawa said before his eyes fell on Noriko and Kirishima. Noriko tensed as he said, "Hiromi, Kirishima. You're up."

"Yes sir!" The two of them said, one much less enthusiastic than the other.

"Those waiting their turn to fight can either watch the exams or try to strategic together as a team, it's your choice. That's all." Aizawa said before turning away and following the other teachers inside the building.

"You ready Hiromi?" Kirishima questioned, looking at Noriko as she took a few deep breaths with her eyes closed.

Noriko shook her head but smiled at him. She knew she should've trained more, but it was too late now and there was no use having regrets. "Not really. But I don't really have any other choice. So I guess we're just gonna have to pass."

-Author Note-

We've officially made it further than the original! The last chapter was about the point in the story where the original cut off and now we're a whole chapter past that! And I have a rough plan for where the story's going and how it should end, so that's good. To be completely honest, I don't love my plan for the end of this story, and I'm a bit worried about the next chapters feeling like I'm forcing Noriko into the story. But hopefully, everything turns out good and I'm happy with it, but we'll just have to see.

Also, I kinda hate what I did for the final. I had no idea where to put Noriko. The best choice would've been having her replace Todoroki or Yaoyorozu and pairing her with the other against Aizawa, but I can't mess with that fight and there'd be no good place to put the other. Maybe once I finish this story, I'll rewrite some parts and maybe throw Sato back into the story so that I could put Noriko in Todoroki and Yaoyorozu's group without ruining canon stuff. But for now, this is how it's gonna be. I don't love it, but I'm stuck with it, so oh well. It really doesn't have much effect on the story and I kinda hate writing the final anyways, so I'm just gonna deal with it.

Anyways, I hope you enjoy getting more of the story than the original and have a great day!

-Starlight