Chapter 32

The next day, Noriko woke up and changed into her hero costume before going to Aries's office, where she was told that they'd be focusing more on training that day, with a patrol at the end of the day. Noriko dreaded the idea of going back to the training room, especially after only having to attend a meeting with Aries and being taught about some of the desk work that came with being a hero when they got back from their patrol.

The training Aries had Noriko do was nearly the exact same as the day before. When they first started, Noriko had thought she had improved and the training was already getting easier. But she quickly realized it was just because she had been able to get a good night's rest since the training quickly became torture not long after she thought she was doing well.

Aries had Noriko train until lunch and gave her an hour and a half long break before they went back to training. It was extremely tiring and Noriko was certainly not ready for the patrol when Aries reminded her about it. So much so that Aries had sent some of her sidekicks on patrol instead so that Noriko could have another hour break before they finally went out, meaning there was no longer any light left from the sun when they left the agency.

Noriko walked beside Aries down the same route they took the day before. The night was peaceful despite the amount of people who were on the streets. Noriko had hopes that this patrol would be one of the rare ones with no problems.

Though, those hopes were immediately crushed when they turned the corner onto a quieter street and heard a young women scream. The few people around them all looked in the direction of the scream with frightened looks and Aries took off running in the direction of the scream, Noriko following her. But what she saw made Noriko wish she had just dealt with her fatigue and done the patrol an hour ago.

The young woman and a few other people were all being attacked by a grayish-green creature. It had the same crazed eyes and exposed brain as the monster that had been at the USJ.

"It's a nomu!" Noriko screamed, fear stunning her as she stared at the monster that resembled the one from the USJ attack. This one looked more human, but Noriko could tell this creature was related to the Nomu from the USJ. It was obvious. And that meant huge trouble for them. All Might had trouble with the other Nomu. And this one may be different, possibly stronger, than the other Nomu. How were they going to deal with this one? When there were so many people around? When only her and Aries were there to fight it?

Unlike Noriko, who was frozen in fear, Aries jumped into action. Noriko snapped out of her thoughts as Aries moved around the Nomu and started trapping it in a giant cloud of cotton. Noriko took a step closer and froze the cotton with the Nomu caught inside.

"You know what that is?" Aries questioned, after ordering the civilians who were still lingering on the street to run away and call the police.

Noriko took a deep breath, her heart racing, "Yeah, a monster just like this attacked the USJ during one of our classes. The villains that were with it called it a Nomu. All Might had trouble fighting that thing. If there's more of them 0 at their level of strength - there's no way we can-"

"If All Might had trouble taking that one down and we just dealt with this one, there's no way this one's on the same level." Aries interrupted, narrowing her eyes at the frozen cloud of cotton. "Unless it's able to-"

Aries was cut off by more screams. Noriko looked up and saw smoke rising above the building and an orange glow she was sure was from fire not that far off.

"That can't be good," Aries mumbled, looking toward the smoke.

A sudden crack turned both of their attentions to the giant ball of ice. Noriko tensed instantly at the sight of a large crack that was spreading down the middle of the ice ball. Fear that had left momentarily due to the distraction came flooding back, and when she was able to make the coherent thought to seal the crack with more ice, it was too late and the Nomu had shattered the ice.