Chapter 18 - To our marriage

Over the past week, Odin had restored yours and Loki's freedom to move around the castle freely, though he did not allow you to go past the palace gates.

You enjoyed this autonomy and spent most of the time moving from either the battlegrounds or the libraries to your room.

You and Loki read often, finishing the Harry Potter series with close to tears and have now moved on to Shakespearean literature.

You both were currently reading Hamlet, Loki reading out loud as you lay your head on his lap.

"To die, to sleep- To sleep, perchance to dream-"

"Loki! Y/n!" Thor barged into your room, unsettling the peace before barking again, "Get up! Get dressed! Father had allowed us to go out for drinks!"

"Stop barking Thor!" you pulled your hands up to your ears, "Where are we even going?"

"To the town bar! Now hurry! Bathe! Dress! I shall meet you at the stables at 7!" He said, swinging his hammer before leaving the room.

"I thought we weren't allowed out?" you looked at Loki who was now sitting upright.

"Oh yes," Thor popped his head through the door, "The Allfather allows you out only with my supervision." He then gave a meek smile and left.

"Can I shower first?" Loki asked, holding up his towel and toothbrush in question.

"Sure," You smiled. He looked adorable from wriggling on the bed, his hair in tangles. His eyes were deep green rings, with dark circles of void inside them.

He never ceased to make you flustered. You slowly picked at your skin on your left hand, watching him go to the bathroom.

Walking by his bed, you notice the little black box. Let's just say curiosity got the best of you and now you were sitting on the ground, the black box opened.

Inside was the black book which Loki had most of the time, in your hands. It surely must be of some value if he wanted to keep it hidden, shouldn't it?

You opened the book to the first page, a paragraph that looked like a diary entry lay before you as you listened to the running tap.

Entry #1
I am not sure why I am writing here. Mother suggests it may be beneficial for me. She's holding the disciplinary, which means that I may be able to see her again.

I've missed so much. It's been years. I saw her enter the room, she looked amazing. But something was different. She looked older, but not like the way she grew. It was her eyes. They looked sad, alone.

Well, I'm not really sure, but that was yesterday, and now I feel like smashing my head into the door because I have a headache. Well, I'll try writing later. I hope I don't have to.

You flipped to the next page, reading each and every line. Who was this 'she' ?

Entry #2
I lost. I lost and I feel unworthy. Father said he was disappointed in me. He never said it, but today he did.

Is that all I am? A disappointment to the throne? To my family? Father always favoured Thor, but why? What was wrong with me? Why doesn't he love me? Why am I not enough?

Whatever I do, whatever I say, it's always not enough for him. I try to make myself a stronger warrior, but whatever I do, I'm never enough. I'll never be able to lift Mjolnir, nor rule Asgard if the need arises.

Why am I not enough?

A small tear rolls down your cheek as you finish the second entry. But before you could read the next page, the sound of running water came to a halt.

Quickly putting everything back in place, you scrambled yourself into doing something by the wardrobe, trying to act as though you were searching for something to wear.

"Still haven't found something?" A very wet Loki exited the bathroom to find you under a pile of gowns.

"No," you huff.

\-/

"What's the time?"

"time to go home," he sighs, "why can't we just leave without him?"

"If we do, he will tell the Allfather that we are untrustworthy."

"which matters how?"

"If you ever want to roam the castle again, I suggest you shut your mouth and wait here," Here being the horrible smelling town gathering where Prince Thor was currently parading with Sif on the dance floor.

"Fine," he stood up, "but if I'm staying I need more drinks."

Loki headed towards the bar, leaving you to look around more. Fandral was somewhere you didn't know, so were Hogan and Volstagg, doing who knows what.

You and Loki were just sitting at a table waiting to go back to the castle to finish the play you were reading.

A hand on your shoulder made you turn with a smile, thinking it was one of your friends, but it wasn't. "Hello beautiful, what's a lucky woman like you doing out here? All alone?"

A tall man with a tangled beard and half-filled mug of mead stood before you, resting his arm over your clavicle. He was clearly drunk out of his mind. "I'm not alone, I'm here with-"

"She's here with her husband," Loki interrupted, removing his hand off your shoulder, "And I suggest you rather not touch her."

"I don't see a ring on that hand," the sentence made Loki pull forth your left palm, showing the glimmering ring that wrapped itself around your finger.

It was silver studded with diamonds, and had the intricate carving of the words 'mine' in cursive in place of a centre stone. Obviously done by an illusion, the man fumed before leaving, which plastered a smirk on Loki's face.

"Thank you, my dear husband," you teased the prince, his hand still holding yours. The statement made Loki blush deeply, to which he praised the dim lighting of the hall.

"My pleasure, dearest wife." You both erupted into laughter, thinking about how silly you were both acting.

"Seriously, you first pretended to be my brother, and now you pretend to be my husband?"

"Well, he wouldn't back off if I said I was your brother, would he?"

"Maybe not," you stared at him, into his deep eyes. You picked up the chalice of wine, and raised your cup as Loki did the same. "To our marriage!"

"To our marriage!"

me opening Wattpad to publish this chapter:

- nino? is it me? we'll never know

- nino :)