Chapter 30 - Finally

Thanks to Frigga and the magic of Asgard, you and your father were able to heal quickly; your thigh just possessed a scar and your father had a few more years of his life to live out without a wheelchair or lying on a bed.

"Thank you, Frigga," you hugged her, "Thank you for saving my family."

"It's the least I can do, Y/n," she chuckled, "Besides you did that by yourself. You're a strong independent woman who stands up for herself and can make a great queen if she wants to."

"If she wants to?" you raise a brow.

"Princess Y/n?" Odin's voice called. You turned around to see Loki, his father and your father, all standing in a line facing you. "Your life is not bound to a throne, if it is not a throne that your heart seeks."

"Odin," Njord gave out a long sigh, "Not everyone understands your cryptic tongue."

"What we are trying to say," Loki gave them both a hard stare as he walked forward and took your hands into his, "is that you don't have to be queen if you don't want to. You have a choice."

"I-" you stood shocked at the news. "Well, uh-"

"You don't have to give us an answer right now, my child," Your father gently pushed Loki away, which made the prince give him an offended look as Njord held you in his arms, "I'm so proud of you."

"You have three days," Odin interrupted, making everyone turn their heads to him, "What? Vanaheim will need a new ruler and if she doesn't want to we'll need to find a replacement."

"Listen here Allfather," you nodded your head, "If or when I decline the throne, I, myself, will choose the next heir. I only wish what's best for my people, and no offence, but visiting Asgard's people in the realm really showed me what a marvellous ruler you are! Your people suffer from poverty and children are very prone to deaths, which may fully be the reason the life span of the population is two thousand years, not to mention the weak justice system."

"Y/n!" Your father scolded.

"Father, I have learned to speak the truth, even if it means the truth might upset some people."

"She is right," Odin sighed, "I am failing to be a better ruler, which is why I have been thinking of stepping down, enjoying the peace while one of my sons will ascend to the throne," he looks at Loki with a face the prince could only recognise as apologetic.

"Thank you for giving them both an equal chance," you clasped your hands together, "And that's another thing. You haven't been that good a father to your son. Saying he disappoints you or giving negative reactions to his failures does not help him improve, rather lowers a child's self-esteem. I'm not even a parent and I know that."

"I'm sorry, my son," Odin takes Loki into a hug, who stood paralysed for a few seconds before reciprocating. You smiled at his gesture, not noticing what Odin had slipped into Loki's hand and whispering something into his ear, "I will do better, I promise."

"Thank you... father," Loki couldn't stop himself from smiling.

\-/

"You know," you squeezed Loki's hand, "I think I want to be queen, but I don't want children. I think I might ask one of the children of Vanaheim to ascend the throne after me."

The Royal Garden looked just like Asgards. Your evening walk was accompanied by the soft gushing of the stream and chirps of crickets. And by a very nervous-looking Loki.

You had no idea why he was so fucking nervous, but it may have been from all the sugar he ate that day. His hands also kept stuffing themselves into his pockets, but hey, weird Loki is still a lovable Loki.