Part 2 - Chapter 14

"Baji?" His name slipped past my lips in a murmur, my voice cracking.

One drop of crimson liquid first spilled from Baji's mouth. Then another one, and another one, until blood was covering his entire chin, dripping down his clothes and forming a pool at his feet.

Blood.

So much blood.

I wasn't sure if Time had slowed or if I was experiencing this moment in slow motion because of how significant it was, but I watched helplessly as Baji sank down. He lay on his back on the roof of the car, his eyes closing shut.

"Baji!" I screamed, jumping to my feet.

On hearing a girl's voice, everyone turned to look at me. Even Mikey's head finally snapped up. His gaze found me as I jumped off the roof of the car I had been sitting on.

This time, Rindou wasn't fast enough to stop me. "Y/N!" Ran and him both screamed my name but I continued sprinting across the junkyard. 

At that point, the hood of Ran's hoodie had slid off my head, revealing my identity to every guy I was running past. They stared at me with their mouths hanging open and their brows furrowed.

"Y/N!" Draken caught me in his arms as I ran past him. He wrapped his arms around my waist from behind to stop me, his front pressing against my back. "You can't be here!"

"Let me go!" Not once did I take my gaze off Baji as I struggled to wrench free of Draken's arms. The only way I found to finally get him to let go of me was to stomp on his foot as hard as I could. 

I continued sprinting towards Baji and had to climb up on the roof of the car he was laying on. Mikey was only two or three meters up the pile of vehicles, still on his knees on the roof of another car. His gaze followed my every move as I knelt down next to Keisuke and cradled his face with both hands.

"Baji!" Tears welled in my eyes, blurring my vision.

A deathly silence settled over the entire junkyard, only interrupted by my sobs and broken cries.

Slowly, Mikey stood up, and I peeked up at him as his gaze slid from Baji to me. When our eyes met, they spoke for us; no matter how much him and I had hurt each other, there was one thing we had in common: we hated Kazutora for what he had just done.

He needed to pay.

Mikey's jaw clenched. He tore his eyes away from mine and walked down the pile of vehicles, past me and Baji, and towards Kazutora who looked at the blonde leader with big, unblinking eyes. Mikey punched him so hard that he immediately dropped to the ground where Mikey straddled him and started punching him in the face over and over again.

I brought my gaze back to Baji when his lips curved up at the corners.

"Am I dreaming or are you actually here?" He asked, his eyes still closed.

"I'm here, I'm here, Baji." I repeated, brushing a stray strand of hair away from his bloodied face.

His smile widened and he forced his eyes open, meeting my own. "You're gonna have to forgive me for what I'm about to do."

"W-what?"

With all the strength he could gather, he fisted my hoodie to pull me down until he could press his lips to mine. Salty and metallic, the kiss we shared tasted like blood, tears, and tragedy, but I returned the kiss, gently moving my lips against his own.

He let go of me a few seconds later, a slow, satified smile spreading over his mouth. "I'm sorry we never got to go on our first date." He forced the words out, coughing up more blood.

Another tear spilled from my eyes, running down my cheek. "Shhh, please stop speaking, Baji. I'm gonna call an ambulance for you." 

I reached into my pocket to find my phone but he caught my wrist to stop me. He brought my hand back against his chest where he intertwined his fingers with mine. 

"I would have taken you to an animal shelter." He whispered. 

My brows furrowed, my chin trembling. "W-what?"

"For our first date," He explained, looking up at me through half-lidded eyes. "I would have taken you to an animal shelter." His smile widened a little more as if he could picture it right now. "We would have played with kittens, maybe we would have even adopted one together. And hopefully you would have fallen in love with me like I have for you."

"Baji..." I shook my head, more tears streaming down my face. They spilled down, wetting Baji and I's clothes and mixing with the pool of blood growing under Baji's body.

"Please," He begged, gripping my hand a little harder. "You're gonna have to forgive me for what I'm about to do next. And," With his free hand, he reached inside his pocket to take something. "Please, give this to Mikey for me." He handed me a purple charm for traffic safety and a very old picture of him and Mikey, Draken, Mitsuya, Pah, and Kazutora, where they were standing in the middle of a crosswalk, dressed in their Toman uniforms.

Baji reached up to cup my cheek, making me look back at him. "Can you do that for me?" He asked.

"No, no, no..." I shook my head, my lips trembling. "You'll do it yourself because you're not gonna die here, okay?"

My eyes widened as he let go of my hand and stood up.

"Wait! You're not going anywhere before I call an ambulance!" I scrambled to find my phone in my pocket but couldn't find it. "Baji, wait!"

Keisuke walked away, ignoring my pleas for him to stay still. He climbed off the car and screamed : "Mikey !"

Mikey's arm stilled mid-air before he could deliver a new punch to Kazutora's face. He stood up, turned to face Baji, and took a step towards his friend, but Baji walked past him to stop in front of Kazutora.

"Don't worry, Kazutora." Baji started, pulling a knife out of the pocket of his white Valhalla jacket. "I won't die at your hands."

He grabbed the weapon with both hands, raised it in the air, and... stabbed himself in the stomach.