Part 2 - Chapter 29

"Thank you for accepting me in your division." I told Mitsuya as I watched him alter a Toman uniform for me.

Turned out being the president of the school sewing club had some perks, like being allowed into the school on a Sunday morning. In the classroom reserved to the after-school club, Takashi was sitting behind his sewing machine while I watched him work, sitting on the edge on the other side of his desk.

"You and I have always made a great team." I thought out loud. "It shouldn't be that different during fights, right?"

The corner of Mitsuya's lips tipped up, his eyes still riveted to the black uniform. "Yeah."

"You won't give me any special treatment, right?" I asked, and he paused the sewing machine to glance at me.

"Of course I will." He replied.

"What?" My eyes widened, and I immediately protested. "No, no, no. You can't do that. I want the other members to take me seriously and treat me as an equal. You can't -"

"I'll do whatever I want." He cut me off as he rose to his feet, the feet of his chair scraping against the floor.

My gaze followed him as he got around the desk he had been sitting at. He approached me until he was standing between my legs. He braced his hands against the edge of the desk on either side of me, and then leaned down until we were eye level. "You're part of my division now, which means I am your leader. You are to listen to what I say and you take my orders without questioning them, especially during tomorrow's fight. Things can get ugly real quick, and if they do, you'd better be damn sure you're the first person I'll do everything to protect, and I don't want to hear you complain about it. Do you understand?"

Wow... I was seeing a new version of him. A more serious one, more authoritative, more... sexy? Shit, I shouldn't be thinking that about my best friend, should I?

I swallowed hard, fighting the urge to clench my thighs together which would have been impossible to do anyway as Mitsuya was still standing between my legs. Our proximity had distracted me so much that I had forgotten he had just asked me a question.

"Do you understand?" He repeated more firmly, his eyes searching mine.

I nodded in response.

"Good." He exhaled a breath, his gaze softening. He brushed a strand of hair away from my face and tucked it behind my ear. "I'll always have your back." He promised.

"And I'll always have yours." I replied.

He smiled at me and then leaned in, reaching for something behind my back. He was so close, his lips were nearly brushing against mine. My breath caught in my throat. Staring into his eyes, I caught the split second his gaze dropped to my lips before quickly coming back up.

"Here." He leaned back up and handed me the Toman uniform.

I took it in my hands and brought it to my nose. "It smells like-"

"Baji." Mitsuya finished for me, and my lips parted as I looked back up to him. 

"It's his uniform." He confirmed.

I suddenly felt like the piece of clothing I was holding was the most valuable thing in the world, more precious than anything I had ever owed. I was so scared I'd damage it. I'd never forgive myself if I did.

"I can't take this." I tried to hand the uniform back to Mitsuya, but he caught my wrists and held them against his chest.

"Yes, you can."

I stared up at him while he explained: "Chifuyu had the idea. He said Baji would have loved to know you're the one who would wear it, and that it'll definitely bring you luck."

Mitsuya slowly let go of my wrists, and I looked down at the uniform. Yeah, I really hope it will bring me luck because god knows I'm going to need some.

---------------------------------

After leaving the school building, Mitsuya and I stopped by the grocery store because I didn't have any food left in my fridge at home. He helped me carry the heavy bags back to my house. But as we reached my driveway, we found Ran waiting on my doorstep.

"What the fuck is he doing here?" Mitsuya muttered, and I shrugged my shoulders.

"Ran?" I called his name, and he turned around to face us.

My eyes dropped to what he was holding in his hand. My clothes. I had realized I had forgotten them earlier that day but I had decided I would drop by Ran and Rindou's apartment later that night to go get them and also give Rindou his clothes back.

I climbed up the steps to my porch and put down the grocery bag I had been carrying so I could take my clothes from Ran's hands. They're clean and neatly folded, I noticed.

"You forgot them this morning." Ran told me.

"Oh yeah..." I gave him an embarrassed smile when I recalled the way I had stormed out of his apartment earlier that day. "Sorry I left like that."

He ruffled my hair, grinning down at me. "Don't worry about it."

I smiled up at him until Mitsuya went to stand between us. He faced Ran who averted his gaze away from me to look down at Mitsuya.

I laid a hand on Takashi's shoulder. "Hey, it's fine. He just came to give me my-"

"We're going to have to fight him tomorrow." Mitsuya spoke to me without looking at me, still entranced in his staring contest with Ran. "You shouldn't talk to him anymore."

Ran had kept his signature grin on until that moment, but at Mitsuya's words, it slowly started to fall, his expression getting replaced by one much scarier. He flicked a slow gaze at me, probably noticing the conflicted look stuck to my features as my eyes darted between him and Mitsuya.

"You're right, Takashi." Ran slurred Mitsuya's first name as he looked back down at him, clearly trying to get under his skin. "We are going to have to fight tomorrow so I'll deal with you then." 

He moved past Mitsuya and walked down the front porch steps. I was still staring at his retreating back when he turned around, his eyes meeting mine.

"Can't wait to see you in your new little uniform, love." He drawled with a smirk.

Oh no.

Mitsuya dropped the grocery bag he had been holding and took a step towards Ran, his hands balling into fists on either side of his body.

"Mitsuya!" I grabbed his arm to hold him back.

Ran's breath exhaled on a laugh as he stared back at Mitsuya. "Too fucking easy."

Satisfied with the reaction he had elicit from Mitsuya, Ran winked at me before slipping his hands into his pockets and walking away.

I think Ran had just chosen his victim for tomorrow's fight.