Part 3 - chapter 16

"I'm sorry, I have to go." I apologized to Rindou as I quickly got off his lap.

"Wait!" He called after me but I was already jogging out of the hotel room.

I felt bad for leaving like this, but I had promised Mitsuya we could see each other tonight. And it wasn't my type to break my promises.

After walking out of the hotel, I took a taxi to the place Mitsuya and I had agreed to meet at. It was our secret spot, the café we used to meet at every Wednesday after school.

I arrived there more than 30 minutes late, so when I walked inside, I was convinced Mitsuya would already be gone. But he was there. Sitting at our usual table.

I noticed him before he noticed me. He was absentmindedly poking a piece of cake with his fork, staring off to the side. He was wearing a black turtleneck and a large bomber jacket.

He looked handsome, like always, but also tired. More tired than I had ever seen him. The two dark circles under his eyes bore proof of the sleepless nights he must have spent since I had left our house.

When he finally noticed me, he sat up a little, his eyes lighting up. But when his gaze started travelling down my body, taking in my makeup, black dress and high heels, the beginning of his smile vanished as soon as it had appeared.

"I'm sorry I'm late." I apologized as I took the seat across from him.

"It's okay." He replied, setting his fork onto his plate. He cleared his throat awkwardly, his eyes searching mine. "Were you on a date or something?"

"No." Not really. I mean, I was on a mission where I had to seduce a man to lure him into a hotel room. Not sure it can really count as a 'date'.

"It's for me?" I asked, pointing at the cup of hot chocolate that laid on my side of the table.

"Yeah. But It's probably cold now." Mitsuya replied.

I lowered my gaze to the table. I'm sure it wasn't his intention to make me feel guilty about being late, but his words had that effect nonetheless.

"Should I speak first?" He asked softly.

I looked up at him and nodded once.

He inhaled deeply. "I'm sorry, Y/N. I know I already said it several times, but I really am sorry. And I have no excuse for hiding the letters so I won't try to give you one." He paused, staring deeply into my eyes. "All I can ask you is if you think you could give me another chance."

"I..." I hesitated, sighing. "I don't know, Mitsuya."

"Please." He breathed out.

He reached over the table to take one my hands in his. I let him intertwine our fingers together and returned his gaze.

"I'm not saying we should get back together right now." He told me. "I understand if you need some time and space, and I'll give you as much time and space as you need. But do you think we could still continue to see each other at least?"

I caught my bottom lip between my teeth, thinking his offer over.

I was torn between accepting and refusing for a multitude of reasons. My anger being one of them. Rindou being another one. And my very recent affiliation to Bonten being the biggest one. How will I be able to keep this huge secret from Mitsuya? He was my confident, the person I usually told everything to.

Mitsuya gave my hand a light squeeze, pulling me from my thoughts.

"I'll do everything I can to win you back. Everything to remind you why you wanted to marry me." He vowed.