Part 4 - Chapter 10

The next morning, my eyes are swollen and bloodshot from crying. On top of that, I have a fever and my mom is gone on a work trip for the rest of the week, so I'm left to take care of myself.

Before school starts, I send a text to Mitsuya:

8:15 AM - Me - I'm not going to school today

I think I caught a cold

I stare at my screen for a minute, waiting for his reply. He usually texts me back right away. But 5 minutes pass, and I still get no reply. Assuming he's already at school, I put my phone aside and wrap myself tightly in my covers again.

As I close my eyes, my thoughts drift to Mikey.

He didn't ask me any question while he walked me home yesterday. He just silently walked me all the way to my porch and held the umbrella over my head until I had stepped inside of my house. That was really nice of him.

Eventually, I fall back asleep. I'm woken up by the persistent ringing of my doorbell. With a groan, I force my eyes open and drag myself downstairs. When I open the door, Mitsuya is standing before me, holding several bags in his hands.

"What- What are you doing here? Why aren't you at school?"

He grins at me. "You really think I'd leave you alone when you're sick?"

Still too surprised, I don't move and he brushes past me, entering the house. I close the door behind him and follow him into the kitchen where he places his bags on the kitchen island and begins to unpack.

"I've got pain relievers, decongestants, expectorants, and cough suppressants. And since your mom is gone for the week, I thought I should also bring you some food," he explains, pointing to the assortment of boxes. "So, I got a chicken noodle soup, a vegetable stir fry, a fruit salad, and a quiche."

I stare at the display in front of me, my lips parted.

"Mitsuya, that's..."

"-why I'm your best friend?" He finishes for me and my gaze meets his.

He's smiling at me so tenderly that I can feel my heart melt.

I take the short steps to him and hug him. He wraps his arms around me, one of his hand gently finding its place on the back of my head.

"Thank you," I whisper, my chin resting on his shoulder. "Oh wait, I probably shouldn't get too close," I realize and start to pull away, but Mitsuya tightens his arms around me, keeping me close.

"It's okay," he whispers, and I squeeze my eyes shut as I feel new tears well up in my eyes. A sniffle escapes me, and Mitsuya pulls apart from me just enough to see my face.

"There's something else, isn't there?" He guesses and I nod in response.

10 minutes later, we're both sitting on my couch, each holding a bowl of chicken noodle soup in our hands. I've just told him everything about the bet, the Haitani's party, my first kiss with Rindou and his betrayal. He listened without ever interrupting me, even though I could tell thoughts and comments were rushing through his mind while I was speaking.

"I hate men," I conclude, half-heartedly stirring my soup with my spoon. "Except for you, of course," I quickly add, looking up at Mitsuya.

He exhales, offering a small smile. "It's okay, I get it."

I can tell he's still tense because of everything I just shared. I'm not sure which part upsets him the most: the bet, the fact that the Haitanis spent the night at my house or the fact that I was going to go to the dance with Rindou.