Part 4 - Chapter 12

That night, Mitsuya drove me back home. After closing the door behind me and kicking my shoes off, I grab my phone and give my mom a phone call. She's away on a work trip and I promised I'd call her as soon as I get home.

It rings for a few seconds before she picks up. 

"Hi sweetie."

"Hi mom."

"So how was the dance?"

I exhale, a smile tugging at my lips. I still can't believe Mikey did this for me.

"It was great."

"Did Rindou walk you home?"

My smile quickly fades. 

"Actually... I didn't go to the dance with Rindou."

"What? Why not? Did something happen?"

"I heard him say something to his friends. About me. And," I pause, sighing. "I decided I didn't want to see him anymore."

"Wait, you didn't talk to him about it first?"

"...No."

A moment of silence passes before I hear my mom sigh, "Oh, sweetie... Don't you think you should have at least given him a chance to explain himself first?"

"You're saying I made a mistake?"

"I'm saying you rarely regret giving someone the chance to explain themselves."

Her words hit a chord, just like they always do. 

In that moment, I realize that maybe I acted too impulsively, driven by hurt and anger, and that maybe my mother is right: I should have given Rindou a chance to explain himself.

Before I can think it through, I slip my shoes back on and make my way to the nearest subway station. Twenty minutes later, I'm standing before the Haitani's apartment, uncertainty swirling within me. I don't even know if Rindou is home or if he'll want to speak to me if he is, but I gather my courage and press the doorbell.

Rindou opens the door a moment later. He has clearly just gotten out of a shower, and I try not to look down as he's only wearing a pair of sweatpants. 

He's busy drying his hair with a towel, but when his gaze meets mine, his movements pause.

"Y/N? What are you-" he begins, but I cut him off, determined. "You have two minutes," I declare. "Two minutes to explain why you told your friends we had sex and why you accepted Izana's money."

I set a timer on my phone, its ticking serving as a reminder of the limited time he has, and Rindou's eyes widen. 

"Can I at least put on a T-shirt first?" He stammers. 

In response, I start counting aloud, my voice steady, "One minute and fifty-eight seconds. One minute and fifty-seven seconds-"

"Alright, alright," he relents, dropping the towel and stepping aside. 

I enter the apartment, and he closes the door behind us.

He takes a deep breath before starting, "I told them we had sex so they'd stop going after you. I just couldn't stand the way they were talking about you. Especially Hanma. He was always describing in vivid details what he wanted to do to you and I just-" he exhales, flexing his jaw. "I couldn't stand it... So yeah, I lied and told them we had sex because I knew they'd stop going after you. And it worked. They haven't made a single comment about you since."

I continue to eye him cautiously, but a flicker of understanding seeps into my heart.

There's still another question he needs to answer, though.