Part 3 - Chapter 27

"So when we get home, I'll hide the knives," Ran says as we near our house. "And you," – He jerks his thumb to Kakucho next to him -- "you hide the guns, alright?"

He seems convinced that Rindou and Mikey will inevitably get violent when I break the news to them. Honestly, it is probable. Maybe I'm naive but I still hope that the three of us will be able to talk it out like adults.

"Actually, we should probably hide anything that could be used as a weapon," Ran continues. "You know like books, chairs,... – Oh, and the glass coffee table in the living room –"

"Really, Ran? Do you want us to take out all the furniture?" Kakucho questions him, a hint of mockery in his voice.

Ran shrugs. "Better safe than sorry." He glances at me through the rear view mirror and winks as he jokes, "And that, princess, is the mentality you should apply to your sex life from now on."

Kakucho shakes his head at Ran's joke and Ran glances over at him.

"Oh come on, it's funny 'cause you know 'safe'? Like 'safe sex, and condoms and stuff-"

"Yeah, we get it, Ran." Kakucho cuts him off, running a palm over his face as he sighs.

"Too far?" Ran asks, bringing his gaze back to the road.

Kakucho nods. "Yeah, too far."

"Sorry, " Ran mutters.

As we approach our building, my heart misses a beat when I notice that Rindou and Mikey's cars are parked down our street.

"Shit," Ran swears under his breath. "They're already back."

"I thought you said they'd be gone for the whole day," I tell Ran who replies, "Yeah, that's what I thought."

Ran stops the car and the three of us get out. I take a deep breath before taking a first step toward front door. Ran jogs around the car to come stand next to me. When he links his arm through mine, I pause and shoot him a curious look.

"What are you doing?"

"Helping you walk."

"Ran, I'm pregnant, not disabled."

"Oh, right."

He gives a small chuckle and lets go of my arm but he still stays really close by my side as we continue our way to the front door. My heart melts at how protective he is of me.

He'll make a great father if he ever has kids.

The thought crosses my mind and my lips curve up as I sneak a glance at Ran. When he looks at me and notices my smile, his own lips stretch into a grin.

"What?"

"Nothing," I shake my head, looking ahead of me again.

Kakucho, Ran and I enter the house and close the door behind us. We exchange a knowing look before climbing the stairs to the first floor. 

Kokonoi walks past us in the hallway. 

"Where's Mikey?" I ask him.

"In his office, I think," He replies.

I wait for him to disappear inside the living room before turning to Kakucho and Ran. "Well, wish me luck."

"Good luck," Kakucho wishes me, patting the top of my head.

Ran joins his hands as if he was praying. He tilts his head up to the ceiling and imitates an old lady's voice, "Please, god, may our boss show her mercy and may Y/N come back out of this room alive– "