Chapter 3

Lauren

"What?" I exclaimed, disbelief and shock evident on my face.

An arranged marriage.

No way.

"Lauren. Listen to me. I know it's a lot for you to-" my mother started but I cut her off.

"I can't do this mom." I sighed.

I can't marry a complete stranger. I might not have a boyfriend right now but I definitely am not ready to marry some guy just like that. Ever.

"Lauren. Calm down and let me explain." I heard my mother's angry controlled voice which finally shut me up. That voice is something I could never talk back to, since my young age.

Oh wow... Now she is angry when it is supposed to be me who should be mad in this whole situation.

"Lauren. You know that we will not force you into anything. Right?" I heard my father speak for the first time since the bomb was dropped earlier.

I wanted to avoid looking at him, because I know that I'll feel guilty if I say no to my father. I love them both and saying no to them is the hardest thing for me. But marriage is even tougher subject that I can't give up on easily.

"I know, dad." I finally turned to my dad, exhausted.

"Then don't worry, honey. If you are against this marriage, I will think of any other alternative." He spoke with a small smile and I sighed looking at my father's sad expression.

"But Mike-" my father's voice cut my mother off.

"Jane. Don't."

My mother exhaled loudly giving us both a final stare before stomping out of the room.

My father turned towards me and gave me a weak smile which I returned.

He walked away after bidding me good night.

I stood there for a second trying to digest all the information I got in just an hour span. But still, I couldn't think straight.

***

A few minutes has passed or has it been hours, I didn't know for how long I sat in my bed thinking about the scene from earlier.

My mood turned down after seeing my dad's expression.

Am I the worst daughter in the world?

But I can't marry someone just like that.

Did I disappoint my dad?

He was always there for me and I can't even make him happy.

I groaned and hit my head on the pillow. I sat up straight when I heard a knock on the door. It was my mother.

When she saw me on the bed she gave me a smile and walked in the room sitting in front of me.

Did she just smile at me? It's not like she doesn't ever smile, it's just that she never smiled at me.

"I'm so sorry, mom. I'm sorry if I disappoint you..." I uttered the bitter words out.

My mother gave me a smile and stayed silent looking at me which made me even mor nervous than I already am.

"No Lauren. You never disappointed us. You were always the daughter we wanted." My mother spoke and I snapped my eyes at her shocked.

"But I still disappointed you by not agreeing to this marriage. Didn't I?" I asked her still not looking at her in the eyes.