Chapter 25

Writer's POV

Lauren sighed after walking out of the elevator to the marketing department. Her body aches everywhere with all that work pressure.

Lately, the work stress in the office has touched the sky with all the product launch deadlines, and meetings. She wants nothing more than to go home and cuddle into a warm blanket while watching her favourite show.

If she is this stressed, she can imagine how stressful it must be for Ethan. And it always amazes her how composed he is even after all that.

Lauren was about to walk into the department head's office when she heard her name in a conversation.

"How lucky Mr Kingston's wife is." A woman who was busy applying lisptick scoffed looking at another woman who is busy painting her nails.

They had their backs toward Lauren, so they couldn't see her.

"She is. Imagine being the boss's wife. Firstly, you are already rich and then no work stress. She doesn't even have to do anything."

"Moreover, Mr Kingston goes easy on her."

"I heard from one of the staff that she is even incompetent to get that job. Like there are many talented people like us and we just get these average jobs." The woman scoffed not realising that the person they were talking about is standing behind them.

"I don't understand why Mr Kingston even married her out of everyone. Like she is not even that brilliant nor beautiful. I think he deserved better."

Lauren looked at the two women in front of her; their faces were caked with paint, not make-up. They look like clowns, to be frank.

The fact that she works hard and tries to learn every day something new, and yet she is titled as someone who doesn't deserve that job depressed Lauren a bit.

She looked at the two women who are still joking about her before walking away to get that file completely ignoring them and their baseless talks.

***

"Eva, meet my client and take the details related to the case from him. I have his file in my office. Let me go fetch it." Hearing Mr Ben's voice Eva stood up from the chair she was sitting, practically doing nothing before he came.

"Yes, Mr Ben," Eva spoke excitedly as this will be her first official case, in which she will be a part.

Although she plays a very minute role in taking up this case, it is still her first. And firsts in anything are special.

"And Eva, be careful, he is not just any client. He is a very important person." Mr Ben spoke giving Eva a tight-lipped smile and just like that her confidence evaporated a bit. But not completely.

After all, a lawyer is a person who confidently argues and validates his point till it is justified. The legal department always has to be confident.

She nodded at him before walking towards the door and just when she is about to push the door, she heard a voice from the other side of the door. The voice was familiar like she heard it virtually or something, but not face to face.

"SpongeBob, do you ever smile?"

An amused expression painted her face when she heard the name SpongeBob. Who in their right mind will name their child after a cartoon character?

"Not much, sir. But sometimes." She heard a deep sternly voice and she could even imagine him having a very serious expression on his face while answering the question.

"You are so agelastic, Bob." Eva furrowed her eyebrows from the other side, when he mentioned agelastic.

Agelastic is a person who never laughs or is not jovial enough.