Chapter 48

Ethan

Ignorance is bliss, they say. I agree with the saying for the most part but there are some exceptions.

My present situation will disagree with the popular saying. It's no bliss when you are ignored by someone you love. Like ignorance from Lauren. 

I don't understand if Lauren is ignoring me or avoiding me at this point. And what pisses me off like crazy is I don't understand the reason behind her avoidance.

Its subtle but I can feel her reluctance lately whenever she is with me. She is always thinking. Always lost in her thoughts. 

I know Lauren fills the box of an overthinker but it has never been this bad. Something is running in her mind.

The past three days has been different. She sleeps late sometimes or too early. And I think she does that just to avoid me.

"Do you want to watch a movie together?" I spoke when I saw her coming out of the bathroom freshly showered. The scent of her lavender and some flower shower gel filled my nose.

"I'm tired, Ethan..." 

She spoke staring at me for a good moment before turning around to pick some comb and just like that, her new habit of avoiding me continued.

That's it. I had enough. Taking a much needed deep breath and ignoring the hurt I felt every time she avoided me, I walked towards her and looped my hand around her elbow before turning her around in my arms.

"What is it?"

I asked her and I'm pretty sure she knows what I'm talking about, but she played dumb by plastering a frown on her face. Her avoidance is hurting me. Everything around me feels horrible now that I'm unable to not look at the brown eyes that I'm addicted to or not see the smiles of hers that I adore a lot.

"W-what?" she stuttered looking away.

"I don't know. You tell me. Why are you avoiding me?" I asked her and she widened her eyes for a moment at my words and I'm surprised she thought I wouldn't notice her avoiding me.

"It's nothing like that, Ethan." She was about to defend herself but I cut her off.

"Did I do something?" I asked her holding her hands tight in mine trying to hold that much needed comfort. Not for her, but for me.  "No, no I'm pretty sure I did something. I'm so sorry if I did something wrong, Lauren. But please don't be like this." I don't care If she could hear the vulnerability in my voice and a large part of me wants her to hear that. I want her to know how weak I am without her. How her every action and reaction affects me. I don't think it makes me any less of a man and I don't care if it is too. I can die for her in a heartbeat. So, my ego can happily take a back seat when it comes to her.

She traced my face with her eyes and I could see her eyes well at my words. Looking at her tears, the tiny bit of anger I had for her vanished instantly replaced by pain. Her tears hurt me. Her silence is unbearable for me.

I was about to continue my interrogation when she kissed me softly on my lips, or more like a peck, as a response.

"I'm alright, Ethan." 

***

Lauren's POV

Eleven-year-old Lauren walked into the home excited with a huge grin on her face. She immediately went in to search for her mother with the prize she got for coming third in a running competition. She came third and couldn't wait to show it to her mother. Maybe she will appreciate Lauren at least now, she wondered.

She walked into the living room and stopped when she saw her mother talking in her phone. Her mother looked at her but didn't see the prize in her hand. Lauren waited patiently controlling her excitement till her mother finishes the call. Her mother is talking something about some medical research or something. Lauren is used to these talks as her mother is a doctor.