Chapter 46

Ethan

No matter how forward you move on, your past will catch up to you at some point in life.

The secrets would never stay hidden forever. One's past will grasp you and pull you back as you run away from it. And that happens especially when you are living the peak moments in the present. How off-putting that fact is.

Who would've thought I would meet that one person from my past when I was living my best life with my family and friends? 

"Olivia." I greeted looking at the woman who stood in front of me dressed in some type of summer dress. She looked the same without any major changes as if she hadn't aged a day since our college.

Lauren glanced between us with a frown while playing with her handbag strap. I took her hand in mine as I could see her nervousness creeping up. Lauren gets nervous in front of strangers.

"Ethan, how are you?" Olivia's lips pulled into a wide smile with genuine surprise in her eyes.

Now, this is new.

Olivia never smiles. A genuine smile at that...okay?

I met Olivia in high school and we started dating in our college. She is a pretty girl with long legs and flawless face. She used to be the prettiest girl with her personality that has less words and more plotting all the time. 

She has her friends and she hangs out only with them. When she isn't with them she hangs out with me and Chris. Ryan never liked her so he avoided her for the most part while Chris didn't even cared about her presence. I, on the other hand, liked the thought of the pretty girl clinging to my arm all the time. So, I agreed to be in a relationship when she confessed her feelings to me. Well later when I realized how she played with me and Chris, I never looked back at her. Till now.

"Good." I gave her a curt nod and when she faced Lauren, I stepped up introducing her although I wanted to do the exact opposite.

"And this is my wife, Lauren." I spoke turning towards the woman beside me.

At the mention of the word wife, Olivia's eyes widened but she quickly composed herself giving us another smile.

"Nice meeting you, Lauren. I'm Olivia." Lauren shook her hand and I'm surprised Olivia hadn't shown her bitchy attitude yet.

"Do you live here?" she asked me curiously, the smile still on her face. Olivia looks good when she smiles but Lauren is just whole another world. Her smile can light up the whole city but Olivia's never did before. 

"Here? No. In a house? Yes." I spoke looking around the restaurant I'm in.

I and Lauren agreed to meet grandpa as it has been a long time since we last visited him. As grandpa loves the food from this restaurant, I decided to buy some food from here, so here we are. I would have expected anything before coming here but meeting Olivia wasn't one. 

"You've changed." she announced looking at me curiously. Lauren hid her frown pretty well but now I know her well enough to gauge the hidden reaction. 

"Changed how?" I asked not even curious to listen to Olivia's answer but I played along for now. 

"I only knew cold, arrogant Ethan in the past. This sarcastic, witty Ethan is new for me." She answered with a small smile and I guess I have to credit Lauren for that change in me.

"People change, Olivia." I replied nonchalantly and Olivia nodded at me shifting her big blue eyes back and forth between Lauren and me. 

"I know. I did too." She gave me a small smile and Lauren gave her a smile. It was a small smile but not a tightlipped one or fake.