Chapter 33

Lauren

Staring at the pile of files sitting on my desk, I whined softly at the load of work I had to do.

Don't, Lauren. I can't be this lazy. No wonder my mother hated me.

I took a deep breath.

This is nothing. I can finish it before lunch.

I spoke a motivating speech to myself before immersing myself in the file review I had to do.

I hadn't even met Sarah and Leah yet. I came early this morning as Ethan had a lot of work to do. He looked pretty normal like he didn't just meet someone after a long time, Moreover, after all that happened last night. 

Although he said that I can take a day off, I don't want to come off as a lazy person, so I declined the offer. Now that I'm here, I should've taken the day off.

Time passed with me slipping to sleep sometimes, eating a chocolate bar sometimes and just random body stretching among all the work I had to do.

It was almost lunchtime and I sighed happily. I was about to go to Ethan's office when Ryan entered in.

"Ryan." I greeted him.

"You are going somewhere?" he asked me and he sounded low. He even had a tired look on his face.

"No. but what happened to you? Are you not feeling well?" I walked towards him and placed my hand on his forehead to check the temperature.

"You don't have a fever. Then why do you look so low?" I asked without thinking much. Then the last night's events flashed in my mind.

"Is this about Eva?" I asked Ryan and he just scoffed with a smile. If I didn't know him any better, I wouldn't even notice any change in his behaviour. He looked okay-ish but not his usual cheery normal.

"No." He spoke turning his eyes away from me.

"You won't tell me? and here I thought we are enemies." I joked giving him my sad pretence eyes.

"We still are. Don't worry." Ryan smiled for the first time since he arrived here. a real smile.

"Then tell me. Ryan?" I asked him again this time genuinely concerned.

"You are worrying too much for nothing, Lauren. And coming to Eva, she doesn't want to see me again. So, the little story we had, has ended last night." Ryan spoke casually and I didn't know how to respond.

"Ryan..." I trailed off but he interrupted.

"Don't worry. I am absolutely fine. I already knew we were never meant for each other. My world is different from hers. I just didn't think it would end this soon." Ryan finished with a humourless smile.

"Was Ethan the reason?" I asked him hoping it wouldn't be the reason.

"I don't know." He answered.

"Did she tell you about Ethan and everything?" I asked after a silent moment.

"Yes." He answered simply.

"Oh." My response was short.

"Is he thinking of meeting Eva?" Ryan asked with a neutral face and I sighed.

"Honestly, I don't know." He looked like he wasn't happy with my answer but decided not to speak any further.

"What is that?" I asked looking at the file in his hand.

"Ethan wanted this file and the information in it is confidential. So, here I am." Ryan handed me the file.

"I'll go now. Bye-bye, fish dancer." I ignored his nickname for this time.