Chapter 44

Lauren

"And it was horrible for Eva." Shaking my head at Elena who had an empathetic look on her face, I placed my coffee cup on the table and leaned back in my chair.

"Oh, Poor child." Elena sympathized with a soft face.

"Right." I agreed to her folding my legs on the chair getting comfortable in my seat.

"How is she now?" she asked with the same expression.

"Well, she is better now, of course. I hope so." I spoke animatedly to dramatize my saying and Elena softly chuckled at my actions.

It's almost seven in the evening and after finishing my office hours, I came to Elena's house. Well, Ethan wasn't much supportive of my plan to come here, but he didn't oppose me either. To be honest, I hoped he wouldn't openly oppose me because I don't want any riffle between us right now. Not ever.

This is the third time I've come to Elena's house since the night I came here for the first time two weeks back, I guess. The night where she showed me Ethan's childhood pics and then we cooked together chatting and laughing about anything and everything. That was the same night when she said how the whole turned deaf to her pleas when she wasn't even the driving force for her husband's suicide. How they all blamed her for something she didn't even do.

"Well, all for good I guess, as Ethan and Eva are reunited again." I spoke giving her soft smile.

"I guess... I'm happy for them." She sighed with a wistful expression.

"What about you?" I asked her and she looked at me as if I grew another head.

Well If I was that Lauren from three weeks back, I would think thousand times before asking a simple question to Elena. But we grew close lately. I've grown fond of the woman who sat in front of me. She is Ethan's mother but she never treated me any less than a daughter. Honestly, Elena treated me right more than my mom ever did. Maybe Elena had her flaws in the past treating Eva wrong, but time changes people. Or maybe situations, in her case.

"I already am, dear." she lied simply and I nodded at her.

I decided to drop the sour topic for now and thought of a distraction to clear the thick sadness fog.

"So Elena, are you hungry?" I asked Elena emphasizing about her wish this time.

The last two times I've come here, Elena cooked something for me while I did the least amount of work. Well, she never let me do any major work for the most part. She cooks food while I stand beside her and talk about Ethan or even the childhood memories I cherish in my heart. Talking to her was the easiest part. She doesn't judge nor she pretends to listen. She actually listens and tells about Ethan, Ethan's father and even about her parents sometimes.

Well, looking at our on-going journey, I can say that Ethan might be the initial connection for our meet, but he is not the only common topic for our conversations.

I talk endlessly about the mischievous things I did with my friends in the high school and other things while she tells me about her parents or her life before her marriage. Apparently she graduated in business management and she and Ethan's father met in their college and eventually married although grandpa opposed their marriage in the begin.

"No, Lauren. Are you? I'm sure I can whip up something for you real quick." She spoke already trying to get up from her chair.

"Elena!" I glared at her playfully and she pursed her lips at me.

"I was just-"

"You always cook for me and although I love your cooking to the death, I feel bad sometimes. So, why don't you sit down and let me cook for today."