Chapter 38

Ethan

It's been two weeks.

Two whole weeks since Lauren talked to me properly.

It's not like she completely shut me out of her life. I don't know how would I keep myself sane if that was the case.

She acted professionally at the office informing me about my meetings from time to time. Although she tried avoiding spending time with me whenever her presence was required beside me, as my PA, she was always there. 

She even told me about her visit to Mrs Kingston's house the other day. And surprisingly I maintained my calm and composure to not aggravate the situation we both are in right now.

Since my father's death, I tend to lose my calm whenever Mrs Kingston was involved in my life. and I had good reasons to back up my anger for my own mother.

Lauren told me that she visited Mrs Kingston to check up on her recovery from her accident and I minded my words this time answering her and only replying to her when needed. Well, I learnt my lesson from last time.

Coming to Mrs Kingston, although I am angry at her and still refuse to speak to her, I wouldn't want to see her on a deathbed.

So, I took some precautions since her accident. I took up the court case ensuring that the drive is sent to prison fairly for his mistake of hit and run. I made sure that the best doctors treated Mrs Kingston and lastly I fired all her previous security staff, appointing new ones. 

As Mrs Kingston is still a part of the company and as CEO of the company I can still take a few decisions for Mrs Kingston. And as usual she would never know that all these decisions, which were taken for her safety, were taken by me and not by grandpa. just like I wanted. I don't want Mrs Kingston to know that I care for her in any way.

That day Lauren looked like she wanted to ask more but she held herself back. The way she frowned and her eyes held questions gave away that she wanted to ask something related to Mrs Kingston.

What did she wanted to ask?

A soft motherly voice brought me out of the train of my thoughts.

"Here is your breakfast, Ethan." Kate smiled at me before putting the plate in front of me.

I thanked her with a small smile before taking a bite of the pancakes.

She recently recovered from her shoulder surgery. Although I insisted to take a bit more rest but she declined me stubbornly saying she is more than fine now.

I had no choice but to give in when she said she felt so lonely in the hospital. She said that only work can take off her mind from loneliness and I'm willing to oblige.

Kate lives alone as her husband died when she was young and she never wanted to marry again.

I watched as Kate worked in the kitchen preparing another plate of breakfast. She had that warm smile while roaming around the kitchen.

Kate has always been a motherly figure to me. She took great care of me when my mother wasn't with me. She is one of those few people I have abundant respect for. And when I saw Lauren and Kate getting along so well, it warmed my heart.

"Eat your breakfast, Ethan. It will get cold." Kate's voice brought me out of my thoughts and I nodded at her.

"Kate!" I heard Lauren squeal before she rushed towards Kate to hug her.

"I missed you a lot, Kate. How are you? how is your shoulder? And why did you come back so quickly? You could have taken a bit more rest." Lauren blabbered holding Kate's arm.