Chapter 36

Ethan

I shifted my eyes constantly between Lauren's bedroom and my watch. Usually, she would be out of her room by now, all ready for the day. But today she isn't.

It would be a lie if I said that her utter dismissal to her room last night didn't affect me.

It did. I couldn't sleep the whole night.

I gave Kate a day off as I wanted to convince Lauren to talk to me again. What best way than food to convince her? So, I prepared some breakfast for us both and was waiting for her to come out soon.

When I heard a door click, my neck snapped towards the sound and there she is.

Our eyes locked for a moment before she averted them quickly walking into the kitchen.

"Good morning," I spoke getting up from the bar stool and walking towards her.

She gave me a brief look before opening her mouth.

"Morning."

She muttered wearily in a low tone that I would've missed easily.

Looks like she is still mad, I wouldn't blame her though.

Why can't I just control my goddamn mouth?

I ignored my rage towards myself for now and followed her like a lost puppy into the living room.

"I prepared some breakfast for us," I spoke following her and she turned around to listen to me.

"Thanks, but I'm not hungry." She made sure to glare at me while speaking.

I stared at her face not knowing how to respond, and then only did I notice that she is still in her pyjamas.

It's almost eight and she isn't ready yet.

"Wait, you're not coming to the office today?" I frowned at her.

"Yes."

"Why? What happened? Are you okay?" I shot a series of questions at her touching her forehead to check the temperature.

I hope she is okay. Moreover, I have a lot of meetings today and it will be even more tiring without seeing her at work.

"I'm okay. Just a bit tired." She walked past me.

It pinched my heart when she walked past me.

"Oh."

"Then we can eat breakfast and take some rest. Later we can order some lunch too. Chinese if you want. We can also-"

"I can manage alone, Ethan." She interrupted me.

"No, I'm not that busy either. I can surely take a day off."

"You have a lot of meetings today. And you also have a work of hiring new legal advising department members."

"I can always reschedule them."

"I want to be alone." She spoke again this time shutting me up.

I sighed defeatedly staring at her face not knowing how to respond anymore.

I didn't like the way she is pushing me away. the way she is finding reasons to avoid me.

How she looked at me twisted my heart in a painful way. Like I'm not a close person to her anymore. Like I don't mean much anymore to her.

"I'm sorry, Lauren," I spoke those words I'd die saying thousand times if it means she will act normal like before.

The brown addictive eyes which have been avoiding mine since yesterday finally looked up.