Chapter 24

Lauren

I flattened my top for any invisible creaks looking at the mirror. I was dressed in a beige top paired with black trousers. My brown wavy hair fell beautifully to the side of my face. The concealer, mascara and pink lip gloss made my ordinary face look pleasant able.

We returned from Milan last night.

We didn't talk much after the kiss, but it wasn't awkward between us. Even the silence was comfortable with occasional laughs and constant glances.

Once I'm contended with my look and hoped he will see a difference in me, I walked out.

I stopped in my tracks in the kitchen once I stared at the person standing in front of me busy cooking something.

Did I miss this person?

Yes. A lot.

"Kate," I called and her warm motherly eyes turned towards me.

"Lauren," she responded and I couldn't stop myself from throwing my arms around her and crushing her in a bear hug.

She just gave me a chuckle hugging me back.

"How are you, Kate? You could have taken a little more rest." I spoke sitting on a barstool in front of her.

"I've had enough rest, Lauren. I miss cooking. I miss spending time with you too." She spoke with a longing face.

I miss spending time with you too. The words I've always wanted to listen to, from my mother. But never did.

Don't think about the devil and feel sad, Lauren.

I love my mother but will never deny that she is a devil.

I think the hell couldn't stand my mother anymore and threw her out. and my father being the good man caught her and since then stuck with her.
Poor dad.

I snickered at my thought.

"What are you cooking?" I spoke cheerfully.

"Well, all your favourite breakfast." She responded waiting for my cheery reaction and I gave her.

"Well, do cook Ethan's favourites at least sometimes, Kate. Lest he will be jealous that I'm taking away his favourite cook." I spoke playfully and she just laughed.

"Speaking of, didn't Ethan wake up yet?" I frowned.

He usually wakes up so early.

"He did, dear. I think he has some important work and he left quickly after having breakfast." She answered and my heart somewhat sunk that he didn't even inform me anything.

Well, I know he is not obliged to inform me of anything or everything.

But after what happened between us, I thought something would change. But nothing did.

"However, he also told me another thing. He said that he will text you," she spoke looking carefully at my reaction.

And the dying hope in me rose again.

With a big smile, I quickly searched my phone and once I didn't and there it is, the text from Ethan. I quickly opened the chat.

Lauren, I had an important meeting and had to leave. You were sleeping so peacefully; I didn't want to wake you.

See you at the office.

Ethan.

I blinked not to show any emotions on my face and made a fool of myself over a simple text.