Chapter 44: Pushback

"You know he's gonna go cryin' to Gramps as soon as someone fixes his teeth," Bartholomew said when the circle re-formed a moment later.

"He better not," Great-Uncle Josiah grunted. "He's a grown man who brought that on himself and Costin doesn't need to deal with any shite right now – not when he just got home from the hospital last week." He took a sip from his flask. "He and Irene got more than they bargained for when they had seven kids; they got saddled with eight more and are stuck dealing with everyone's shite decades later. Tell me, what are you all going to do when you can't run to your grandfather to solve your problems anymore?" He looked around at Bartholomew, Lawrence, and Gerard before stopping on Arthur and adding, "Fight amongst yourselves?"

"Dicky –"

Great-Uncle Josiah held up a hand and cut Arthur off. "I'm not talking about what just happened with Dicky; I am well-aware it takes a good knock to put him in his place sometimes. Never before have I seen you or any of your brothers at each other's throats – and I'd never imagine it would come down to you and Trent. The two of you have been best mates since you were old enough to crawl – but something happens to your grandfather and two days later, you're ready to pummel each other.

"Have any of you thought about what'll happen when your grandparents aren't here anymore?" He looked around the whole group. "Costin and Irene won't always be around to settle any disputes. They won't always be here to keep everyone together. We're all getting older and before long, there will be no glue left to hold this family together. You'll all go your separate ways and live your own lives." He looked at Arthur again. "You and your brothers – you're the only ones I can see sticking together regardless. You've always been a tight-knit bunch." His gaze drifted around the group again before landing on Stuart. "I wish I had half as much faith in the rest of you. Even if you are able to stay together, what's going to happen to those six" – he gestured to Arthur – "and Dicky? They're gonna be left out – not intentionally, of course – but you, Lawrence, Clifford, Malcolm, and Roland will inform your own kids if something is going on with the family and no one will think to tell your nephews. You've already forgotten about Richard. It took a week before anyone thought to tell poor Dicky that his grandfather was in the hospital. No wonder he's in a worse mood than usual."

Uncle Stuart began, "I thought Cliffy would tell him since he was closest to Felix –"

"And apparently, Clifford thought you would tell him since you're the eldest," Great-Uncle Josiah cut in. "There was a breakdown in communication and everything was incredibly disorganized while your dad was in the hospital. No one took charge. You were all focused on your own individual families instead of the family as a whole. You'd think with three wars in the past eighty years, you'd have all sat down and figured out who'd take on your father's responsibilities if something happened to him."

"Naturally, I would take over for Dad."

"You were never born to be a leader, Stuart. You've proven that time and again. The sooner you accept that, the better."

"Fine," Uncle Stuart spat. "I reckon we'll have to sit down soon and discuss it then." He snatched the flask back from Arthur and took a swig.

An uncomfortable silence fell on the group.

Mason dropped the butt of his cigarette on the ground and stomped it out. In an effort to get some conversation going, he cleared his throat and piped up, "So why is Dicky such a prick?"

This succeeded in changing the subject and gave Great-Uncle Josiah and Uncle Stuart something they both liked talking about.

Arthur took the flask back from Uncle Stuart. He tuned out most of Great-Uncle Josiah and Uncle Stuart tag-team explaining why Richard was the way he was. It's not like he hadn't heard the story a hundred times before.