Chapter 35: Cursed

Over the next month, things improved substantially with Arthur. It took a while, but he finally engaged in the counselling sessions; however, he still didn't share; he listened and paid attention, at least. He would even stick around afterward to chat. For some reason – perhaps curiosity - he continued to go on Monday night even though that's when Conner went; the Irishman also continued going when he found out Arthur was attending.

Things soon returned to normal at work. People stopped talking about him behind his back. The weekly meetings with Kingsley were rather refreshing; Arthur made a conscious effort to go when Percy wouldn't be there. He would end up going to lunch with his brothers or friends from work several times a week. As the Department of Muggle Relations grew more efficient, Arthur found himself surprised with his ability to get a new department running.

Most of the weight Arthur had lost, he regained, thanks to Gran. Working with Gramps nearly every morning before work and all weekend, restored his toned, muscular form even more so than during the war. Arthur ceased to stay at work late and became less short-tempered with his grandparents the week following the little talk he'd had with Gramps. After a while, he got used to, and rather enjoyed, people coming in and out every day, being able to see family that he only rarely got to see over the past decade or so.

All in all, things were looking up, except for the empty feeling he still couldn't shake, the continued incessant urge to drink, still not having full use of his left hand, and not having heard from his wife or any of his kids, not even Ginny. Of course, he had told her not to contact him, but he didn't think she would actually obey. With Christmas and their thirtieth wedding anniversary coming up in a few weeks, he thought Molly would have at least sent him a letter; maybe she was finally done with him or else she was waiting on him to reach out to her...but he was afraid to. Yes, he missed her terribly and wanted nothing else but to be with her again. The problem he faced was that this may very well be his last chance, and he did not want to blow it. The longer he put it off, the longer he could fool himself.

The first weekend in December found Arthur helping Gramps finish building a small extension onto the barn. To best assist his grandfather, Arthur took off work Friday, attended the Thursday morning counselling session, and moved the end-of-week department meeting to Thursday. Both Friday and Saturday, they woke up and started well before dawn and worked until hours after dusk, the only break lasting ten minutes for lunch. And, Of course, the only time Gramps allowed magic while working was to enable them to work longer by encompassing them with warmth and providing light after the sun had set. Sunday was much the same as the previous two days, the only difference being that they completed their work in the late afternoon.

Gratefully, Arthur showered after he ate a quick bite. He wiped fog off the mirror and closely studied his reflection. After a long time of contemplation, he finally decided to shave the beard off completely. He had imagined he would have grown to like the beard after having it for months, but he still absolutely hated it.

Still burning up from working, the shower, and the fire Gran had crackling in the fireplace, Arthur put on a plain, white tank-top, didn't bother buttoning his overshirt, and rolled up his sleeves.

Thankful that no one was on the couch except the dog, Arthur shoved Sid over and stretched out on his back, his necklace glinting in the firelight. Gramps chuckled. Gran smiled contentedly at him from her rocking chair across the room.

"Great Uncle Artie, will you play with us?" one of his great nephews asked excitedly. Alexander and Margaret had brought three of their grandsons for a visit. While the boys played on the floor, Arthur's eldest brother and his wife sat on the loveseat. Gramps sat in his armchair.

"Not right now," Arthur yawned. Sid the Sheepdog curled up on top of him. "Maybe later," he mumbled as his eyelids suddenly grew heavy.

oOoOo