Chapter 29: Drowning

The weekend finally came for Percy and Audrey's wedding. Headmistress McGonagall allowed Hermione and Ginny to use the Floo in her office after class that Friday. While Hermione went to the Burrow, Ginny went to her dad's flat.

It wasn't quite time for Arthur to get off work yet, so Ginny let herself in. Empty bottles and takeaway containers littered every surface. Crumpled, brown paper bags overflowed from the bin. If the flat looked this bad, Ginny couldn't help wondering how her dad was. Getting her to leave for Hogwarts was almost a fight because she was worried what would happen to him.

"Alright, Sis?" George asked, leaning against a shelf Ginny was stocking before the shop opened.

"Alright."

"Dad, give you money for your school stuff?"

"Yep."

"Well, why are you here instead of shopping?" George questioned. "Tomorrow's September 1st."

"Because, I'm not going," she replied nonchalantly. She continued stocking the shelf as if what she had said was nothing major.

George couldn't believe what she said. "I take it you haven't discussed it with Dad, since he gave you money for school supplies," he stressed. "When were you planning on telling him?"

"I'm giving the money back. I figure if I wait until he gets home from work tomorrow, there's nothing he can do. The train will have already arrived at Hogwarts."

George stopped his little sister from stocking. Siblings' brown eyes stared into each other. "I don't blame you if you don't want to go because of last year and the battle, but you need to talk to Dad tonight. Don't spring this on him tomorrow. That will not go over well," he warned.

Ginny rolled her eyes and went back to stocking. "It's not that. I think I could handle that."

George made her look at him again. "Why don't you want to go?"

"Dad needs me," was her simple answer.

George huffed. "There's nothing you can do. Missing your last year of school will only hurt you."

"It didn't hurt you and Fred." Ginny gestured around them.

"That's different. We already had a business going." George scratched his head. "Look, Bill, Percy, and I have discussed it. After you leave, we're not going to Dad's for dinner near as much. Maybe once every other week, but that's a strong maybe. None of us want to be around him right now."

Ginny gaped at her brother. A few weeks ago, they had all assured their dad they would come over often. Now they were going back on their word? How could they do that? "That gives me more reason to stay," Ginny countered.

Blowing out a long breath, George left his sister. The bell tinkled as the door opened and shut behind him. Ten minutes later, he found himself outside of his dad's new office. He knocked.

"Come in!" Arthur was a bit surprised to see his son enter. "Is everything okay?" he asked, concerned.

George hesitated. "Sort of. When are you taking lunch today?"

"I wasn't planning to, but if you need something, I can take a break around noon."

George nodded. "Yeah, that'd be great. You need to come to the shop and talk to Ginny."

"I can come now if she needs me," Arthur quickly responded.

"No, noon is fine," George assured.