Chapter 11: Misunderstanding

The next morning was quite calm. Arthur was in a better mood than usual, and Molly hadn't pushed the subject from the previous night. She hadn't even brought it up, letting Arthur approach the issue in his own time.

After breakfast, Bill and Fleur began packing their things in order to move back to Shell Cottage, Charlie left to help with Hogwarts, and the five younger ones had gone to Weasleys' Wizard Wheezes to help George take a step forward. So when lunchtime arrived, the only occupants of the Burrow were the two oldest Weasleys.

Seeing as Arthur still hadn't mentioned anything from last night, Molly took it upon herself as they were eating their sandwiches.

"So," Molly prompted her husband, attempting to get the ball rolling.

"Sooo?" Arthur responded.

"You said we would talk today, and the kids aren't home so you don't have to worry about being interrupted or overheard."

Arthur set his sandwich back on his plate as he swallowed a bite.

"What are you on about?" he calmly asked, genuinely confused.

"Last night, you said we would talk today."

"About?" Arthur asked slowly, still not catching on.

Molly was becoming aggravated. He had to be trying to get out of his promise by playing dumb.

"I can't believe this," Molly breathed, exasperated. "What? Did you say that just so I would leave you alone? It is impossible to forget something that quickly."

She stood to clean up from lunch, taking Arthur's plate with his half-eaten sandwich as she did so.

"I'm not finished with that," he protested.

Molly ignored her husband as she threw his lunch in the bin.

Huffing, Arthur stood also. He made his way to stand behind his wife and wrapped his arms around her.

"Dear, will you please tell me why you're upset?" he whispered in her ear. "I, honestly, have no clue what you are talking about."

Molly breathed out heavily before answering. "When we were in bed last night you promised you'd tell me what was bothering you."

It was a good thing Molly had her back to him because at this Arthur clenched his teeth and rolled his eyes. Really? They were back to that? Since she hadn't brought anything up all morning, he thought he could go a single day without her pestering him. He kept calm though as he took a deep breath.

"I doubt I even registered what you were saying, Love. I was exhausted and probably almost asleep." Arthur let go as Molly turned around. "You know I'm still not ready."

"When will you be, Arthur? Because at this rate things will get as bad or worse than they were last week."

He couldn't protest. It was quite obvious how things were going what with the arguments they had had the last few days. At least she didn't know he was drinking again.

"Arthur, I know what you were doing yesterday morning, and the night before that."

Well, there goes that, Arthur thought. I guess I wasn't as careful as I should have been. He opened his mouth to say something, but Molly answered his question before it even left his lips.

"I'm the only one that knows, except for Charlie, but he promised not to tell anyone. That's only because he doesn't want to see this family go to turmoil."

"I haven't had any today," Arthur told her honestly.

"I know," Molly responded, knowing he was telling the truth. "Now, sit down."