Chapter 23: Bill's Rant

Bill's Rant

Molly stood, completely and utterly shocked, as she watched her husband disapparate. Unlike every other time he left or tried to leave, she couldn't bring herself to try and stop him. The exact opposite had happened that she had hoped would, and his words stung, worse than anything else he had ever said to her. Apparently, there was no trust left in their relationship; she had been finding it harder and harder to trust him, and clearly, Arthur didn't trust her anymore.

She leaned on the door after gently shutting it. A flood of emotions washed over her. Molly wasn't sure how she should feel: disappointed because they hadn't made up like she hoped, angry because Arthur immediately assumed the worst again, sad and upset because he told her he didn't love her anymore, or happy and relieved because the monster who used to be her husband was gone.

Unable to stand any longer, she slid down to the floor, tears overcoming her. Everything since the end of the war had her emotionally drained. Her son was dead. Two of her kids didn't want anything to do with her. And her husband, the man she loved, had turned her life into this living hell.

The next thing she realized, she was crying into a man's shoulder. In that moment, she didn't know who it could be. Could Charlie or Ron have gotten back already? Could Bill have stopped by to visit? Did Arthur rethink what he had said and come back? Her mind skipped right over the Irishman she had left in the kitchen.

Finally, she had let all her emotions out. Pulling back from whoever was holding her, she wiped at her tear-stained cheeks while the man smoothed her hair. When she saw who the mystery person was, she began apologizing profusely. Of course, she had been telling Conner all of her feelings over the past couple weeks, but there had only been one other time she completely broke down. Conner told her there was no reason for her to apologize and that he was glad he could be there for her. Molly couldn't help wondering why this man who she barely knew wanted to help her.

Her thoughts were interrupted by her son's cheerful exclamation, "Mum, great news!" as he entered through the back door. Upon seeing his mother on the floor, Charlie's demeanor immediately changed and he rushed to her side, ignoring the other man in the room. "Mum, what's wrong? What happened?" he asked, concern written all over his face as he helped his mother up.

Sniffing, Molly patted her son's cheek, thankful for having such a caring child. "You needn't worry about it," she answered, knowing it would only upset Charlie. "You're in a much better mood than when you left this morning."

Charlie furrowed his eyebrows. "Mum, the state you're in only proves that I need to worry about it."

Molly took a seat on the couch, closely followed by Charlie, before she was ready to answer. Just as she was about to start, the fireplace roared in the kitchen and Bill and Fleur came into the sitting room. They had been coming over on Sundays to see how everything was. Unsurprisingly, Bill's reaction was much like his brother's. Her two oldest boys took a seat on either side of her while Conner and Fleur made themselves scarce, not wanting to intrude.

"Mum?" Bill prompted.

"Your father came by," she started quietly before Charlie interrupted.

"What was that good-for-nothing - !"

Bill cut him off with a stern glare and a warning, "Charlie."

"He was going to tell me something," Molly continued, "but then he saw Conner..." She let out a shaky breath.

As she watched her sons anxiously, she could tell Charlie was taking this information the way she expected, but Bill was unreadable. Finally, Bill said, "Do you want me to talk to him? I was planning on seeing him tonight anyway because there is something else I need to talk to him about as well."