Chapter 37: Together Again

Even though Arthur and Molly intended to take things slow, they were not very successful. When you have been with someone as long as they had, it was nearly impossible not to get emotionally involved. Over the next week and a half, they went out every night.

Molly felt a contentedness she hadn't felt in a long time. Spending time with Conner was fun; she was comfortable with him and he made her feel special, but things were different with Arthur; for the most part, he was his old self. There was a familiarity with him that she had with no one else and a love stronger than any other. She and her husband knew each other better than anyone else. And just as Arthur began to recognize her little quirks he had forgotten about, she recognized his. As they spent more time together, a mutual rekindling was felt.

No other negative effects from the dark magic occurred in that short span of time. However, Arthur continued to have problems sleeping. He would lay awake into the wee hours of the morning until unwittingly falling asleep for an hour or two. Throughout his day, he would periodically catch himself dozing off at his desk. The less he slept, the less likely it was that he would have another episode like the one that led to his trip to St. Mungo's.

When he went in for his appointment with Alexander nearly two weeks after they discovered the curse, it was confirmed there had been no change. Arthur hadn't thought about telling Alexander that it had been three years to the day since the attack; it didn't seem to be significant information anyway. There still hadn't been any leads as to what this particular curse was or how to treat it. On his date with Molly that night, he told her what Alexander had said.

Arthur stood on the Burrow's porch with Molly after their date. He gave her a brief kiss on the lips as he had done the previous two nights. When he was leaving this time, Molly stopped him.

"Would you like to come in?" she asked.

He glanced at the door then back to her before he said, "Okay."

Once they were inside, Molly fixed them each a cup of tea. They snuggled close together on the couch in front of a roaring fire as the wireless played softly in the background. It was reminiscent of late nights spent together when the kids were small and in bed or when they were older at school before things got so busy.

"It's getting rather late, you know, and tomorrow is Saturday so you don't have work," Molly said. She mindlessly ran her fingers down the buttons of her husband's shirt. "Maybe you ought to stay here tonight."

"Do you want that?"

"I wouldn't have suggested it if I didn't."

Arthur stroked her hair. "Who am I to deny my queen what she wants?" he murmured before kissing her atop the head.

As they enjoyed the time in each other's arms, all unpleasant memories melted away. The past several months seemed like nothing more than a bad dream. All that mattered now was the need to continue their life together and to feel whole once again.

Gently taking Molly's chin between his thumb and forefinger, Arthur lifted her gaze to meet his. "I love you, Mollywobbles," he murmured.

Their lips met, simultaneously searching to fill their need for the other. Molly slowly pushed him back then proceeded to climb on top of him. As they continued to kiss, she carefully unbuttoned his shirt.

"Wait," Arthur breathed in a gap between kisses. "I – want –" Unable to get the words out, he held Molly's cheek in his hand to get her to stop long enough for him to whisper, "I want to make love with you properly this time." In one swift motion, he collected her in his arms and carried her upstairs to their bedroom.

oOoOo

The reunited couple lay contentedly in each other's arms. Molly lay on top of Arthur while he stroked her back. Rising up on an elbow, she looked at her husband and smiled at him. He smiled back, a light reappearing in his eyes that she hadn't seen since before the war ended. She ran her soft hand across his forehead before letting it rest behind his head on the pillow.