Chapter 40: Uncertain Outcomes: Part 2

A/N: Here y'all go, Chapter 40! I initially intended for the next chapter to be part of this one, but it ended up being the length of Chapter 30, so I broke it in two. With that being said, the next chapter is completely written and only has some revision to be done, so I will have it up in a few days, at most.

I'm really loving getting to explore Arthur's brothers and past more in these chapters. I hope y'all are enjoying getting to know them.

Early Thursday morning, Ian was the first to return. Things were okay between him and Arthur since the argument the previous evening was primarily between Trenton and Arthur. Molly showed up not long after, keeping her promise and bringing two dozen ham and cheese croissants with her for whoever wanted one. When Gran arrived with the two sons who had gone home with her the night before, Ian barely gave her a chance to come through the door before he was standing in front of her. Arthur couldn't help but overhear Ian's sincere apology. As always, Gran was quick to forgive. Not everyone who had been there the first three days were there all day Thursday, but they, along with other relatives, stopped in periodically throughout the day.

That evening, a very bemused "M-Minister Shacklebolt?" brought everyone's attention to the tall, black wizard who had just entered the private waiting room. The various Weasley relatives fell silent.

"Oh, hello, Kingsley," Gran greeted.

"Irene," Kingsley's low voice rumbled. He offered a sympathetic smile. "I can't tell you how sorry I was to hear of Costin's accident."

Arthur wondered when Kingsley and his grandparents got on a first-name basis. The only time he'd ever seen them in the same vicinity was at Percy's wedding. He made a mental note to ask later, but it really wasn't that important.

"Yes," Gran said. "Well, all we can do now is wait."

"I do hope he gets better soon," Kingsley said sincerely.

"Thank you."

Kingsley made his way to the far side of the room where Arthur and Molly sat. He hugged Molly and shook Arthur's hand before taking a seat himself. The other occupants of the room returned to their own conversations.

"Have you eaten dinner yet?" Molly asked first and foremost. "Let me fix you a plate."

"Molly, that's not necessary," Kingsley chuckled. Molly was always trying to feed someone. "I don't want to impose. I can –"

"Nonsense! There's plenty of food left," she countered before bustling off to the small, short tables holding the takeaway containers.

"What, no Aurors on protection detail today?" Arthur asked, leaning back in his chair.

"I told them to wait in the hall. How have you –"

"Don't ask me that," Arthur calmly but quickly cut him off, crossing his arms. He didn't mean to be rude and he knew Kingsley was genuinely concerned, being a good friend, but Arthur still hated it when people asked how he was, especially when the answer was so obviously negative. Not to mention, he wasn't in that great of a mood anyway. Ask him on a good day and he couldn't be happier to tell you, but when things weren't going well, not so much.

Kingsley cleared his throat. "When I noticed you hadn't been at work in a few days, I went to your department and Perkins told me you left Monday due to what seemed like an emergency and that he hadn't heard from you since. I was afraid you'd gone off and done something –"

"Stupid?"

"I was going to say regrettable, but yours works, too – Then I saw your brother, Neil, at work this afternoon and he told me what happened and that you've been here."