Chapter 2: Sinking In

Everything happened so fast. He wrenched his hand out of her grasp, grabbing her wrist in the process, and raised his free hand as he spun around, fire burning in his eyes. Bill, Ron, and Ginny immediately took off to the spot where this scene was unraveling.

Arthur's demeanor immediately changed and his expression softened when he saw the hurt and frightened look on Molly's face, realization of what he had almost done sinking in. He let go of her wrist and dropped his other hand as this sunk in. What happened? Why did he grab her wrist? How could he raise a hand against her? Arthur would never hurt his Molly.

"Molly, I – I –" Arthur stammered, but he couldn't find a way to explain himself; how could he?

As Arthur was trying to put his words together, all three kids came to a halt beside their parents; Ginny stopping next to her Mum, Ron next to his Dad, and Bill between his siblings. All three of them were furious at their father. Arthur looked at his three children with a shameful expression while Molly couldn't take her eyes off her husband

"Maybe we would be better off if you left, Dad." Ron spat out his father's name.

Arthur looked between his three kids before turning back to his wife. "Mollywob-" he began before she cut him off.

"Don't call me that." She took a deep breath. "Ron's right. Maybe it would be better off without you. Even you said that, and you were leaving just now anyway."

"You know I would never do that to you."

"I'm not so sure what you would or would not do anymore."

"But -" He reached for her hand, but before he could do so, Bill stepped in the way.

"You heard her. Get your stuff and leave." Arthur didn't move. Was his family actually telling him to leave his house? He couldn't believe it. "Now." Bill pointed to the house.

This time Arthur did as his eldest son commanded. He made his way to the house and upstairs to his and Molly's bedroom.

He closed the door and began pacing, running his fingers through his thinning hair. How could he let things get so out of hand? How could he do that to his Mollywobbles? They really are kicking him out. Well, Molly was right. He was going to leave of his own accord...but would he have stayed away?

Arthur got so frustrated and upset he couldn't hold it in any longer he screamed and punched the wall. Leaving his hand in the hole it had made, he rested his head against the wall and let the tears overcome him. He had held everything in for so long that it finally spilled over.

He wasn't able to get ahold of himself for quite some time. When he had finally calmed down, he dug a bag out from the back of the closet and shoved some of his clothes in – not all of them but enough for a week just in case. He wasn't sure how long this would take to blow over...or even if it would blow over. God, he hoped he hadn't messed up so bad that he wouldn't be able to come back. They had never had a fight like this. He had never gotten that angry before. Molly and the kids had never gotten that angry with him.....Molly had never told him to leave before.

He went into the bathroom and put his toiletries into the bag, and made his way to the stairs. As he walked down the steps, he heard someone say, "Dad?"

It was George.

He had come out of his room because he had heard his father's upset and angry outburst. "Dad, where are you going? What's wrong?"

Arthur didn't answer, but kept walking. How could he tell George, of all his kids, what happened – what he did – what he almost did? George was already been through enough. He heard his son's footsteps behind him, but continued to the door, avoiding eye contact with Harry, Hermione, and Fleur in the kitchen.