Chapter 3: A Helping Hand

Arthur found himself down a side street in Hogsmeade. After looking around and taking in his surroundings, he realized he was standing outside the Hog's Head.

He wasn't sure how he managed to apparate there without being splinched or why he even came to this spot. He hadn't been thinking of anywhere in particular, just that he didn't want to see anyone he knew and that he wanted to completely forget what had happened. In that case, this was the perfect spot; the only person he knew at this pub was Aberforth, but they didn't really know each other, and it was the perfect place forget things.

He slowly entered the pub and scanned the room for anyone he knew. He didn't recognize anyone, except Aberforth who was behind the bar. He hadn't expected to see any familiar faces due to the pub's reputation.

Arthur took an empty stool at the bar and ordered a firewhiskey. It was odd because he was used to drinking straight from the bottle and not a glass. He was already finishing his second glass when Hagrid and Charlie walked in half an hour later.

"Hey, Charlie, isn't tha' yer Dad?" Hagrid nodded his head toward where Arthur was sitting at the bar.

Charlie looked at the middle-aged, red-headed man who was sipping his drink at the bar. "Yeah. Yeah, it is," Charlie replied as he made his way to his and Hagrid's usual table. He wasn't surprised to see his father drinking, but he was surprised to see him at the pub. Usually, his Dad drank in the privacy of his shed.

"Shouldn' we check on him?" Hagrid asked. He knew this was odd behavior for the Weasley patriarch.

"No. He doesn't look like he wants to be bothered. Come on."

Neither man spoke as they took their seats and ordered their drinks. After they got their drinks, Hagrid inquired, "Tell me, wha's goin' on, Charlie? You don't seem surprised tha' he's here."

"I'm not, honestly."

"An' why's tha'?"

"Well, I am surprised to see him here. He normally only drinks at home, or tries to hide it when he's in public," Charlie said as he and Hagrid studied Arthur who was still drinking steadily at the bar. It was clear to them both that he was slightly drunk.

"Is he alrigh'?" Hagrid asked after a few minutes of silence.

"I don't think so, but we don't ask him about it. Mum's tried to, though."

"Has Molly gotten through to him? Surely, she has. If anyone can it's her."

Charlie shook his head. "No. They've been arguing a lot lately. Most of the time, her asking him questions is what causes the arguments. There are even a few holes in the wall." He turned back to Hagrid. "He's...changed."

Hagrid nodded his head in understanding, and said solemnly, "I see...Do you think this has anything to do with Fred?"

"That may be the root of the cause, but I think it's more than that. He just won't tell anyone what it is," Charlie said as he stood. "Well, I gotta get home. Mum'll have dinner ready soon."

"What abou' yer Dad?" Arthur hadn't moved from his barstool since Charlie and Hagrid had arrived.

Charlie shrugged. "I guess he'll come home when he wants to, and I wouldn't bother him if I were you...I can tell you want to. Anyway, see you tomorrow."

"Can't I try to see what's wrong?"

"You can do whatever you like, but don't say I didn't warn you. " Charlie exited the pub and disapparated.

Hagrid watched Arthur for a few minutes before approaching. He was starting his fourth glass of firewhiskey, Hagrid noticed. Arthur had apparently been drinking a lot since he was capable of drinking that much in an hour with only showing minimal signs of intoxication.