Chapter 20: New Rules

New Rules

The next hour was spent at George's flat celebrating and drinking champagne, so it was past midnight before George had the chance to talk to Percy about their father. He had also been waiting for Ginny to go to bed before bringing the subject up, but he could tell she wouldn't leave her brothers until Percy left. Sooner or later, she would have to face the facts, and she wasn't a kid anymore so there was no sense in sheltering her any longer.

As he resumed his spot in the armchair, George said, "I'm happy for you, Perce, but we need to talk about Dad..." George glanced at his sister before continuing. "Do you let him drink at your place?"

Looking at George quizzically, Percy replied, "I don't think it was explicitly stated either way. Why?"

"You were there this afternoon when he said he'd help me out with Mum. When he didn't show up, I went to get him. He told me that something else had come up and that's why he didn't come...Percy, he was wasted, and when he left here, he said that he couldn't stay because he had other business," George finished sourly.

"I hate to tell you this, George, but that's the reality of it. For the week he's stayed with me, he's been out late every night. Like tonight, I went home to tell Dad first because he was the only person who knew I'd be proposing tonight, but he wasn't there."

"Wait, so you know he's been drinking and you just let him?"

"Since I had to practically force him to move in, he has one rule for me: Don't ask questions. When I did the first couple days, he almost left, so I let him do his thing and I do mine. I hate it, but that's the way it is," Percy stated, leaning back in his chair.

Before the conversation went any further, George turned his attention to Ginny once more. "Gin, I think you ought to go to bed now." Initially, he thought his sister could handle this topic, but as things progressed he thought better of his earlier decision.

Sitting up straighter, Ginny countered, "I'm nearly seventeen. I don't need my brothers babying me anymore."

The red-headed young men shared a look, and Percy shrugged. "Well, she's old enough to make her own choices."

"Okay...Look, it's time we confront him about this. It's gotten to the point where he's putting booze before his family and he's shutting everyone out. I don't think he even cares anymore - about his family or himself, or anything for that matter."

"The way Percy put it, if we pester him, we'll be pushing him away," Ginny pointed out, snuggling close to Harry on the couch.

"Make a new rule then," George suggested. "While he lives with you, he can't drink there, at a pub, or anywhere else. You won't be breaking his rule, so there shouldn't be an issue."

"But that means if he breaks it, Percy will have to kick him out. Give him time. Dad'll come around eventually."

"He's had time, Gin. The longer it goes, the worse it gets," Percy informed.

"We'd be giving up on him then! That would make us no better than Mum, Charlie, and Ron!" Ginny countered, beginning to get worked up.

"No, it wouldn't," George assured his little sister. "A new rule will be put in place and it is up to Dad to follow it or not."

"Whatever happens is on him, not us," Percy added. "We'll still do what we can."

After a little more discussion and agreeing on a new plan of action, the four celebrated Percy's engagement a bit more. This made it close to two in the morning when Percy left. Having become half-cut due to losing track of time and drinks, Percy thought it safer to walk the short distance home rather than apparate or floo.