Chapter 41: Uncertain Outcomes: Part 3

A/N: Happy Saturday!

I hope y'all stay safe from these upcoming tropical storms!

Please leave a revie

Of course, Gran and the son who had spent the night with her the previous night were the first to arrive the next morning. Then Arthur's other aunts and uncles trickled in. Gramps's brothers and sisters-in-law were next. Neil strode in carrying a large, ancient tome, which, from the binding, contained information on every known Dark wizard and all curses created from the 11th century through the 15th century. Molly, Alexander, Margaret, Elaine, and Paulene arrived a bit later than usual, laden down with paper bags because they met up and went in together to buy a massive breakfast spread (today, the Healer was supposed to lift the magically-induced coma Gramps was in, but it could still be another day or two before he woke up; with that and it being a Saturday, there was no telling how many relatives would show up and when). Desmond arrived with his and Ian's daughters not long after breakfast came in, not having anyone to babysit since both of their wives were at the hospital along with everyone else; the girls were easily occupied for a while by their children's crosswords, word searches, and coloring books. Trenton, however, was still passed out, a new charm over him to cover the odor of alcohol but not one to muffle any noise.

Arthur strained to hear his brothers over the other voices in the room as Neil passed the tome off to Alexander.

"Sorry, it took a couple days to get approved," Neil said.

"No problem," Alexander assured. "I would have gotten it myself, but I've not had time to go by the Ministry this week."

"What d'ya need it for anyway?"

"Just some research," Alexander said with a wave.

"You got a tough case?"

"It's...perplexing."

"Are you able to talk about it?" Neil asked, intrigued. Sometimes Alexander talked about cases he had, without disclosing too much information or the patient's name of course. What Healer or Auror didn't? But Arthur knew he wouldn't say anything this time – It would be too obvious..

"Just that we've not seen anything like it before."

"It's not something from the Dark wizards who are still loose, is it?"

"No, it's nothing to worry about anymore."

"Ah, from the war then?"

Alexander tilted his head to the side and raised an eyebrow as way of affirmation. It was obvious to Arthur that he made a deliberate effort not to look in his direction, but it was difficult to tell if Neil noticed since he, Arthur, didn't have a full view of his face.

"Anyone we know?"

Rubbing behind his left ear, Alexander said, "You know I can't tell you that."

Neil did notice this. Whenever Alexander rubbed behind his left ear, he was either anxious or keeping something from them. With knit brows and narrowed eyes, Neil asked, "Who is it?"

Apparently realizing his mistake, Alexander crossed his arms and firmly tucked his hands beneath them. "I didn't say we knew him." His eyes flicked to Arthur when he said this.

"Him?" Neil said slowly before following where Alexander's eyes had darted. Arthur pretended he had been watching the women unpack breakfast instead of watching them. He should have known it would only be a matter of time before someone figured it out, especially with how much time the family had been spending together in close proximity the past several days. "Arthur, c'mere!"