Chapter 27: Forgiveness

Two weeks later, the remainder of the Weasley family was brought together, save Ron and Hermione who would be returning later that week; they had finally found Hermione's parents and restored their memories. Today, the family would celebrate Percy and Ginny's birthdays. Molly was ecstatic when she found out she would be able to celebrate her little girl's birthday. She even managed to convince Charlie to come.

Arthur had arrived early. Papers were spread over the entire kitchen table. He had taken up his new position of department head that Monday. Kingsley had not been exaggerating about the workload. Arthur was thankful for the peace and quiet while the kids were setting up outside for the party. He ignored a floorboard creak as someone entered. It would still be an hour before guests started to arrive.

"Hey," Molly said softly as she sat across from him. An unexpected rush of emotions cascaded over her. Seeing her husband after a month reminded her how much she still loved and missed him.

Arthur glanced up and schooled his features. His wife's appearance did not completely surprise him. Percy had warned him that she and Charlie would be there. However, he did not expect her to approach him. "Hi," he said dismissively. He returned to his work.

"You've gotten a promotion, I hear."

"Yup."

"How have things been with Ginny and Harry living with you?"

"I told you she would be safe, and she is," he said a bit harshly.

"I know. The boys told me you're doing better."

Arthur still didn't look up. "I suppose." This exchange was already tedious. Why was she trying to get information from him if the kids had already told her? There was no other reason for her to speak to him that Arthur could think of.

Molly wanted a two-way conversation. She gently took his writing hand.

Arthur looked up at her. "Do you mind? I'm trying to work."

"I'm trying to talk to you." Molly had planned this conversation. She had played out multiple scenarios in her head. If Arthur was stubborn, it would not go well.

Arthur sat back in his chair, but did not remove his hand from his wife's grasp. Admittedly, it was nice to feel her touch again. Ever since they had separated, he pushed her to the back of his mind in an attempt to convince himself that he didn't miss her.

"Arthur, I am sorry things had to go this way. I hope you know I still love you."

"George, told me what happened," Arthur interrupted quietly.

Molly hesitated. She knew it was a strong possibility that Arthur would find out. However, she never thought he would be the one to bring it up. That wasn't even where this conversation was headed.

"He told me that you were out all night with Collin," Arthur deadpanned.

"Conner," Molly corrected, though this may not have been the best time. "Is that all he said?" She knew Arthur would not have the whole story. She knew what it had looked like, but she and Conner were doing nothing wrong.

"You were hugging him...and he kissed you."

"On the head," Molly reasoned.

"He still kissed you, and you let him."

"That entire situation was out of context."

"Oh, so you didn't flirt with him afterwards?" Bill and Percy had come to him with that information. It was something they felt he needed to know, but not so serious that Molly should tell him herself.