Chapter 32: A Dreadful Monday

At his grandparent's house, Arthur lay wide awake in his old bedroom, his feet hanging off the end of the bed. Well, it wasn't only his room. Several generations of Weasleys had claimed this room as theirs. The furniture and layout hadn't changed, but toys, knickknacks, and posters had. He noticed the model car he had as a child still sat on the bookshelf. Over the years, he still visited his grandparents frequently, but stopped going into his bedroom because there was no reason to.

All night, he tossed and turned with no luck of falling asleep.

Finally, he heard muffled voices and the clatter of dishes downstairs. Had he managed not to get a wink of sleep? It was still too early for the sunrise, but his watch told him it was already 6:20. He lay there a few more minutes before he threw the covers back and sat up. After debating on whether to get dressed, shower, or throw on his house robe, Arthur decided on the shower.

When he went downstairs, the sun had begun peeking through the windows. He finished buttoning up his shirt as he entered the kitchen. This time when Gran offered to temporally charm his clothes to shrink a little, he accepted.

"I didn't expect you to be up so early," Gran commented.

"I never went to sleep," Arthur replied. "Tried to, but..." He shrugged.

"I'm not surprised. You haven't had a regular sleep pattern."

Arthur looked out of the window at the barn while he rolled up his sleeves. "Is Gramps already at it?" he asked.

"He still likes to get started first thing in the morning," Gran said as she set a steaming mug of tea fixed just how Arthur liked on the kitchen table.

Arthur hummed in response. The barn doors opened and a herd of sheep wandered out.

He brought himself away from the window and found his place at the table.

"After you eat, you should see if he'd like some help," Gran suggested, setting three heaping plates of bacon, sausage, and eggs in the center of the table. She took the liberty of filling up Arthur's plate.

"Another day maybe," he said. "I'm heading into work early today."

"Are you sure that's a good idea?" Gran asked. "Kingsley said to take as long as you need."

Arthur swallowed a forkful of eggs. "I'm not going to take advantage of being friends with the Minister."

"That wouldn't be taking advantage."

"Well, I have a lot to catch up on."

"I better make you a lunch, then," Gran said resolutely and set to making him three sandwiches. Arthur was ready to protest, but reminded himself it was no use with Gran. He would take the sandwiches and do his best to eat all three.

Gran sat down with him after making his lunch. Every now and then, she would put a few more pieces of bacon, a sausage, or some more eggs on his plate.

The fireplace roared to life in the sitting room. Gran bustled out of the kitchen to meet the new arrival. A few seconds later, Penelope and Louisa came in unaccompanied.

"Good morning," Penelope yawned as she took a seat at the table.

Arthur couldn't help but chuckle. "Taking a while to wake up?" he asked.

Penelope gave a small nod as she nibbled on some bacon.

Little Louisa, on the other hand, was wide awake and full of energy. Arthur let her hop into his lap, pigtails bouncing. She, too, reached for a slice of bacon. Since the main plate was out of her reach, she settled for one off her uncle's plate. Arthur didn't mind. He had eaten more than he could and felt like he had barely made a dent.