29

Sophie woke to the sound of people talking downstairs. She sighed and grabbed her pyjama shorts.

She walked down into the kitchen and paled. Her dad was standing there. "Hello Sophie."

"You bastard! You left me. Again!" She yelled as she felt the tears coming down her cheeks. She walked over to Madison who pulled her into an hug. "He left me again," she sobbed.

Madison held her close. She turned to Max. "Look at the damage you've done to her. You need to sit and think about weather or not she can really forgive you."

Max nodded. "Well I thought that after you told me she had been crying, I should come back. Thought I'd be welcome. Clearly not," he said.

"Daddy!"

Sophie turned to see Evie as she ran to Max. Max picked her up. "Hello darling. Sophie and mummy are mad at me."

Evie frowned. "Why?"

"Because I went on holiday and didn't tell anyone," Max said.

Sophie scoffed. She took her sister from Max and walked off. "We're mad at daddy because he wanted to leave us," she whispered.

Evie frowned again. "Daddy leaved us?"

"Yeah munch."

***
Sophie went into school. She saw Tom and walked right past him. Tom sighed. "Look, I know you're mad with me. But I'm only interested in making sure you get the most out of your education," he told her.

Sophie rolled her eyes. "I don't need you telling me what to do. I'm allowed to be upset about my dad walking away. He came back, by the way. But I won't forgive him for this. He left me again. And he's dead to me," she said as she walked off.

Tom stood there and sighed. He knew that things with him and Sophie had been hard lately. But he wanted to make sure she was okay. He knew she still meant a lot to him.

***
Sophie walked into the office. Max was there. She sighed. "Why did you come back?" She asked.

"Madison told me you needed me. That's why."

"Right. So you didn't think that you should come back and be a father? Twice you've walked out on me. And twice you've walked back into my life like it's nothing. I'm sick of it. You're always bailing on me," Sophie said.

Max nodded. "I know I haven't been the best father to you. But I love you Sophie. You and Evie are my world. Madison too. I want nothing more than to change what happened. But I can't. I can only make sure that from now on, I give you and your sister a perfect family," he told her.

Sophie looked to him. She didn't know if she could forgive him again. But she knew she had to try. Especially if she wanted to keep her family together.

***
Later on that day, Sophie stood outside. She looked up as Tom walked towards her. He smiled. "So your dad tells me you're willing to give him a chance."

"Am I? I don't remember saying that."

"Oh. That's what I heard him telling Madison. I must have misunderstood," Tom said.

Sophie shrugged. "I don't know if I can forgive him. I'm too torn on how he's been acting."

Tom nodded and smiled. "Think about it like this, he wouldn't have left if you didn't tell Madison about him cheating. I know, you were doing what you thought was best. But it all could have been avoided."

"You're blaming me?"

"No."

Sophie shook her head and walked off. But could she and Tom ever get back to how they used to be?