19

The next evening

I sat in front of the mirror while Frigga's handmaidens fussed over me. She had insisted they got me ready for the Celebration later and I didn't have the heart to refuse her. The lady doing my hair finished quickly and set my crown on my head. She smiled at me.
"I'm finished, your highness."
I nodded. "Thank you. Are the others done?"
"I believe so. I can check if you'd like."
"Yes please."
The lady nodded quickly and headed out of the bathroom. I looked at my hair. It wasn't what I would normally wear, but it was in an Asgardian style and I knew it would be approved of. I sighed and smoothed a few parts down anyway, just to make myself look more presentable. The Handmaiden returned.
"The others are done as well. We will be returning to our chambers if you do not need anything else."
"You may go. Thank you."
She nodded again and my room went quiet. I slid on the green Asgardian dress that they had picked out and looked at myself. It was so much fancier than what I was used to. I hadn't hosted any Celebrations in Betrana, and hadn't been to one since I was little. My family wasn't big on parties. I heard a soft knock on the door and Loki peeked in. He was in an all black suit and there were small accents of green on it. He smiled. "You look ravishing, Love."
I blushed slightly and looked down at the floor. "I haven't been to a Celebration in years."
He walked over to me and lifted up my head. I pulled his hand off me. "This is so much fancier than what I'm used to." He offered his arm to me and I looped my hand through it.
"Shall we?" He asked. We started walking down the hallway in silence.
I smirked. "I don't know what people do at Celebrations." I laughed.
Loki shrugged. "We eat dinner, and there's usually some kind of dancing afterwards."
I nodded. "Sounds fun." I laughed sarcastically.
"You sound as excited as I feel." He laughed.
"You do realize we literally look like we're a couple, right?"
He looked down at me. "What's wrong with that?"
"I thought we were keeping it secret. From apparently everyone but Frigga."
"I don't know what you mean." He scoffed sarcastically. "I'm simply escorting the Queen of Betrana down to the dining room out of the kindness of my heart." He said, stopping in front of the doors.
I let go of his arm and curtsied. "Thank you, kind sir."
He smiled. "As I have performed this noble task, may I be given a dance later, stunning Queen?"
I smiled. "As many as you would like, my handsome Prince."
I walked in first, as the other guests slowly flowed into the room. I sat down at the big seat in front of the room. I looked at the largest seats next to me and smirked when I realized where Frigga had placed me. Right in between Loki and Sequoia. Sequoia waved to me from across the room and sat down in her seat next to me.
"How's the trip going for you?" She asked.
"Well, me and Loki made an agreement not to let anyone know about the courtship, but Frigga found out anyway, so I guess we're hiding it from everyone but her. But other than the fact that Frigga found me in Loki's room, it's been going well!" I looked around the gold room. "It's been a really, really long time since I've been to Asgard."
"This is my first time here. It's really pretty. How have you been here before?"
"The queens were friends. Frigga would visit me and Quinn, and brought Loki and Thor a few times. I was young though and we didn't do much. Then my father left, so mom had to stay home to rule and take care of me, and that got worse after he died, and then Mom died too. Sometimes Frigga would come take care of me when my mother couldn't."
Sequoia looked at me. "Well that was depressing."
I laughed. "You wanted to know!"
"I'm starving. They better be serving dinner soon."
A loud announcement was made to welcome the royal family and the four people walked in and took their seats. Loki sat down next to me and I smiled at him. He reached over slightly and I interlocked my fingers with his under the table. He squeezed my hand and I caught Frigga looking at us. I rolled my eyes at her and she laughed.
Odin stood and made a speech about the celebration or something. I wasn't really listening. He held his hand towards me. "We have a special guest joining us tonight. Queen (Y/N) of Betrana has graced us with her presence."
A few people clapped and I waved slightly at them. Odin continued his speech and eventually they brought out the meals for the guests. We ate, and some people came up to talk to the royals. I had people come talk to me and ask where I had been, in which I did an extremely good job lying about it. They didn't really ask questions after that. I looked up at Loki as another person walked away from him.
"You seem popular."
He chuckled. "You should see the amount of people my brother and Odin have to talk to."
"Yeah, there's so much talking. When is the fun part of this?"
"Well, if you mean the dancing, it should be soon."
A few bottles of wine passed along the row and I grabbed one for my own glass. I sighed and took a sip. "Finally some good alcohol." Loki held his laughs and I continued. "I swear, Earth alcohol is definitely not real alcohol. Where's the fun in drinking if you can't get tipsy?"
"I never took you for an alcohol kind of person."
I laughed. "There's a lot you don't know about me." I said as I poured myself another glass of wine. "I'm always in the mood for a good glass of wine."
He nodded and looked at the wine I was drinking. "Noted." He said with a laugh.
Slowly people made their way down to the ballroom after the 4 royals went. I waited for Sequoia, and we headed down. We greeted the family, and I took my seat nearby with Sequoia. Odin made another long, boring, drawn out speech, and finally the orchestra started playing music. I watched the people dance from the table with Sequoia, but she agreed to dance with another person from a nearby realm and I was left alone. I took another sip of my wine and watched as a man walked over to me.
He held out his hand. "May I have this dance, your majesty."
I smirked and slowly took his hand. "Why not?"
The man wasn't a bad dancer per say, but I knew for a fact I was making Loki jealous and I was going to run with that. The man smiled at me.
"Are you enjoying the night, your highness?"
I nodded. "Oh, very much. It's been years since I went to a party."
"Well, it's an honor to dance with you." We finished the song and the man bowed to me. "Thank you, your highness."
"I don't think I ever caught your name."
He stood back up. "Eros."
I held out my hand. "Queen (Y/N)."
He shook my hand gently. "It's a pleasure to meet you, Queen (Y/N)."
He kissed the top of my hand, bowed again, and headed off, and I retreated back to my table, where Sequoia already sat waiting for me.
She laughed. "I've been watching loverboy over there. He's been getting more and more anxious since you started dancing with that guy."
I smiled. "That was the plan. I find it amusing how jealous he gets."
"You're gonna get yourself killed one of these days."
"I know he won't hurt me. I'm just having some fun with him."
We only had to wait a few minutes till Loki stood up and quickly made his way over to me. I gave him a confused look.
"Do you need something, your highness?" I asked sarcastically.
He smirked at me. "May I have this dance?" He asked and held out his hand.
I smiled softly and took his hand. "Yes."
He pulled me out of the chair and to the center. The next song began, and people stepped off to the side to watch their prince dance. The song was more upbeat and lively, and I smiled at him. He tightened his grip on my hand slightly.
"Did you think you could make me jealous by dancing with that man darling?"
"Well that poses the question of 'did it work?'" I laughed.
He smirked at me and I caught sight of Frigga smiling widely at us as the song slowly ended. Loki brought me closer to him and kissed me, which got a response of gasps and yells from the crowd. I stood there in shock for a second and Loki smiled at me.
"You are mine, love." He said quietly.
I laughed and quickly pulled him down to kiss him again. There were more loud cheers and gasps and yells and I kept Loki close to me. "It scares me how much I love you."
Long story short, Odin kicked us out of the celebration for the rest of the night and stated, and I quote, 'I'll deal with you later.'
We sat in Loki's room in silence. I laid half off the bed and Loki made eye contact with me. I hummed. "Are you hungry?"
His face changed to confusion. "What?"
"Are you hungry?"
"We don't have any food."
I laughed and grabbed my bag off the night table. "That's what you think." I pulled out multiple tea sandwiches and little pastries.
Loki laughed and moved to sit next to me. "Where did you get that?"
I moved to sit crossed legged on the bed and grabbed a tiny cake. "I'm being courted by the god of mischief. I felt like I should live up to the name."
He laughed and kissed my head before grabbing one of the sandwiches and eating the snacks I had stolen.
"What do you think Odin will do to us?" I asked.
Loki shook his head. "Scold us at most. My mother adores us together, so I doubt she'll let him do very much."
"Well that's good."
We ate for a little bit till there was a quiet knock on the door. Sequoia walked in and crossed her arms. She smiled. "You two got yourselves kicked out. I don't think I could be more proud."
I rolled my eyes. "And why aren't you down there enjoying the party?"
"All anyone's been talking about is the secret relationship between you two. It got old really quick."
Sequoia left us after a few minutes of talking, and we were greeted by Frigga. She shook her head but her smile never left.
She looked at Loki. "That was extremely reckless. But also very cute."
He laughed and looked at me. "I know."
"That is all anyone is going to be talking about for weeks now, I hope you realize that."
He winced. "I know that too..."
I nudged his arm. "We'll be fine."
Frigga smiled at us again. "Oh, and don't worry about Odin. He's just a little mad that you stole the spotlight off him."
We all laughed and Odin walked in confidently. He scowled at us. "Queen (Y/N). Loki."
I smiled. "Hi Odin!" Loki turned his head towards me and gave me a look of 'what are you doing?'
Odin's scowl never left. "How long has this been going on?'
Loki sighed and rubbed the back of his neck. "Three months."
"And you really thought this was a good idea?"
I shrugged. "I don't know, I thought it was pretty funny."
"It was a reckless, stupid idea, and you shouldn't have done it."
Loki and I looked at each other and I smirked. I pounced on Loki and kissed him. Odin rolled his eyes at us but Frigga laughed. Odin sighed and I looked back at him with a menacing look.
"Unfortunately, I doubt I'll be able to keep you two apart." He said in the most monotone voice I had ever heard.
I smiled. "Hell yeah you won't be able to keep me away from him." I stood up and pointed at Loki. "I love him, and at this point I don't really care what you think. I'm staying with him."
Odin smirked slightly. "Has he told you his heritage?"
I smiled. "Yeah, and I think it's awesome. He's so cool. In more ways than one. Look at him." I looked at Loki. "He's also really hot, so that checks more off my list."
Odin continued trying to argue with me, but I wasn't having it. Eventually he left in a huff. Frigga laughed loudly. "(Y/N), darling, that was amazing."
I crossed my arms and sat myself down on the edge of the bed. Loki pulled me over to him and hugged me. I straddled him and hugged him back. I heard the door close and Frigga left us alone. Loki chuckled into my neck. "You are the best person in the 9 realms."
I laughed. "Thanks, Lokes."
A few hours passed of us talking and sitting and trying to enjoy the night, when I got an idea. I knew the ballroom had access outside to the gardens, and the doors had been opened. Loki's balcony was near the gardens. I strolled over to the doors and opened them slightly. I smirked and headed back inside and over to Loki.
I reached down and grabbed his hand. He looked up from his book. "What?"
I nodded to the doors. "Come on, I wanna show you something."
He reluctantly stood up and I pulled him outside. We could hear the orchestra playing from our spot. Loki looked down at me and I smiled.
"I did say I would dance with you as much as you want, and considering we only got one, I feel like we should have our own party."
He gave me one of his soft Loki smiles and I knew he liked the idea. His arm wrapped around me and we danced around the large balcony for song after song, till there was a slower one that played. We were both out of breath so the slow song was greatly appreciated. Loki smiled at me again as we slowly swayed around to the soft music.
"This was an amazing idea."
I gave him a smug look. "I know. I just didn't want to miss out on the rest of the party because we got kicked out." I sighed. "I do miss the alcohol though."
He laughed and kissed my temple before looking down at the dress I was wearing. "I don't think I ever mentioned how beautiful you look in green."
I scoffed. "What, this old thing? I just found it in a closet." I laughed.
"Did you?"
I smiled. "No, everything in that sentence was a lie. I didn't even get it out of the closet. The handmaidens did."