23

A week later

Tony was frantically asking people what they were making for 'Thanksgiving.' Whatever that was. I had asked Wanda about it earlier today, but she seemed a little stressed too and told me to look it up, because after all, I did have a phone. From my research, it seemed like people all sat down and ate dinner that usually consisted of Turkey, something called Stuffing, lots of versions of potatoes, and many desserts. I watched as Tony ran past the living room and sighed.
"Why is this dinner such a big deal? It's literally just another meal."
Peter sighed and sat down next to me. "It's a holiday. You get together with your family and-"
"No, I get that part. What I don't get is why everyone is so worried about what's going on. Have you seen Tony?"
He bit his lip. "That...well...okay...Tony gets frantic around this time of year because he lost his parents before Christmas. He likes us to have a huge dinner with the whole tower and we usually end up staying awake all night playing games and talking."
I hummed. "So it's literally just time to eat. For an entire day?"
He nodded. "Yeah pretty much. It's a time to show what you're thankful for." He stood up. "It's not too difficult of a concept, really. I think you'll understand it eventually, Ms. (Y/N)."
I nodded. "Yeah, probably." Peter left the room and I looked up the word thankful. I had heard it before, and I was fairly sure that I knew what it meant, but I wanted the definition. Google said it was a word to 'express gratitude and relief.' Not helpful. I found Steve in the training room and watched while he literally hit a punching bag across the room. He turned around to unwrap his hands and made eye contact with me.
He smiled softly at me. "Morning, (Y/N)."
"Hey ya Stripes. I had a question." I walked over to him.
He finished unwrapping his hands and put it in a drawer nearby. "You haven't called me Stripes since you first got here." He laughed.
I shrugged. "I prefer it over Steve. You've got a boring name, to be honest. Anyway, question for you."
He nodded. "Shoot."
"What are you thankful for?"
He thought for a second. "You're trying to understand the fuss about Thanksgiving, aren't you?"
I scoffed. "What, who, me? No, I just don't know what I'm supposed to be thankful for so I'm asking what you're thankful for so I can get examples."
He motioned to me to follow him out of the training room, and we walked around as he listed things around the tower, and I asked a few questions and he tried his best to explain what he meant. He stopped outside of the kitchen and I nodded slightly.
"I think I kinda understand it...maybe?"
He put his hand on one of my shoulders. "You'll get it. Just think about things that you are happy to have around. Or even something that would just change your way of life slightly."
I hummed. "Thanks Stripes."
He nodded and patted my shoulder once before taking his hand off. "Of course, Your highness..." he said sarcastically.
I laughed and he smiled and left. I walked into the kitchen and leaned against the doorframe while watching Loki and Scott try to figure out how to make pie. Scott turned to look at me.
"Oh thank god. Queen (Y/N), do you know how to make pie?"
I smiled. "Man you are lucky to have me around, you know that?"
Loki scoffed. "I thought you couldn't cook?"
"Well, I do know one pie recipe. It's an apple one though."
Scott sighed. "That is completely fine. We need an apple pie, 3 pumpkins, and Nat requested a cherry one too."
"Who put you two on pie duty?" I said and tied my hair back.
"Tony did. He said there wasn't anyone else." Scott whined.
Loki took a step back and I handed him a can of dough. "Can you two handle lining pie tins? It's really simple and easy for the one brain cell that you are sharing."
Loki smirked and took the dough from me. "I'm sure we'll manage."
I smiled. "Good."
It was quiet other than the sounds of cooking going on. Eventually I had the oven completely filled with pie, whether or not they tasted good was not my problem.
I shook the water off my hands after cleaning up the kitchen and looked back at Scott. "When IS Thanksgiving?"
He gave me a confused look. "Tomorrow?"
I froze. "Tomorrow?"
He nodded. "Yeah, that's why we're making pie!"
"I didn't think it was that soon..." I trailed off.
Loki made his way over to me. "Is that a problem?"
I laughed slightly. "Well, I guess not, but I'm supposed to have things I'm thankful for, and I don't know yet!"
Scott looked between me and Loki a few times before awkwardly pointing to the door. "I'm just...I'm just gonna go..."
Loki kissed my head and I leaned into him. We sat there for a few minutes and the oven beeped. I turned around quickly and took out the pies. Loki helped me check them to make sure they were cooked and I sat myself down on the counter. Loki stood with me and I laid my head on his. I hummed. "Have I told you lately that I'm glad you're mine?"
He hummed in agreement and I gasped loudly. He looked up at me. "What?"
"That's it!"
"What's it?"
"That's what I'm thankful for! You!"
"Me?"
"Yes! You! Steve was telling me how it could be something that makes me happy, or something that could change my life if it left, and that's you!"
He thought for a second. "I guess that makes sense..."
I jumped off the counter. "Steve!" I ran down the hallway. "Steve!"
He stepped out of his room as I ran by and I almost ran into him. He held his hands towards me. "Whoa, whoa, calm down, what is it?"
I took a few breaths of air to catch my breath. "I...I figured out...I figured out what I'm thankful for..."
He raised his eyebrows at me. "Really?"
"Don't act so surprised, jeez."
"No, no it was just really quick." He paused for a second. "What is it?"
"Loki~"
He nodded. "I should have known."

The next afternoon

Wanda had shoved everyone out of the house so that she, Vision, and Tony could finish setting up dinner. I clasped my hand tightly in Loki's and we sat on a park bench nearby the Tower, while some of the others sat on benches close by or walked around the park. I shivered slightly as the wind blew hard and Loki looked down at me. I rubbed my arm with my free hand and Loki materialized a blanket over my shoulders.
I looked down at it and up at him. "Won't you get cold too?"
He laughed and kissed the side of my head. "Frost giant, love. I don't really get cold."
I leaned against him. "Oh. Right."
We sat outside for slightly longer when Wanda called us inside. We came into a beautifully set table that had lots of food and drinks covering it. I was sitting in between Strange and Loki and looked to my left at the doctor.
"So are you a real doctor, or do you just use the title?"
He looked at me. "I was a doctor. I was injured in a car accident, and could not continue my practice."
I hummed. "Interesting."
The meal started pretty quickly, and I took a huge pile of mashed potatoes. I didn't eat as much turkey, because I already knew I didn't like it, and happily started devouring the dinner. There was lots of laughing and talking around the table, and everyone seemed happy. We finished our dinner quickly and ate dessert, which was personally my favorite part. Tony got us to help clean up the plates and food, and he left for a few minutes. When he returned, he was carrying a game. A few of the avengers left to hang out somewhere else, and the people that did want to play set it up, explained the rules, and soon we were playing. I looked up at Loki, who I was beating, and smirked.
'You've got nothing on me, Lokes."
He smiled and looked down at me. "I refuse to let you win."
The game went on for about an hour till only me and Tony were left. I glared at him from across the table. He scoffed.
"Isn't this the first time you've ever played Monopoly?"
I laughed. "What can I say? I'm a fast learner." I moved my piece forward. "And I'm about to make you go bankrupt."
Tony laughed as he moved his piece, landing on one of my spots. He sighed loudly and I smirked at him.
I held my hand towards him. "Hand it over." He reluctantly counted out the money and slapped it into my hand. I counted it out and he held up the $2 he had left. I frowned. "Aw...did you lose, tiny?"
He threw down the two dollars onto the game board and shoved himself away from the table. I laughed and counted up my money. I looked at Loki and handed him a 20. I smiled. "Here. Buy yourself something nice."
He looked at the 20 and kissed the side of my head. "Thank you." He ruffled my hair and walked towards the living room. I followed him and we sat down in the living room. Sequoia shot fire into the fireplace and sat back down to continue her conversation with Bucky. I looked up at Loki.
"I like this holiday."
He gave me a confused look. "Why is this one your favorite?"
"We did nothing but eat. Dinner, dessert, snacks...all you do is eat."
"And you like that?"
"Oh very much. Food is my love language."
We sat there for a good amount of time before there were only slow murmurs around the room from small conversations and I fell asleep on Loki.