26

The next day

Tony had taken the stampede of avengers out and downtown to Times Square. We looked at this ginormous tree that was completely decorated. I stared at it for a good 5 minutes before the others pulled me away and we continued our adventure. Times Square had usually been too bright for my liking, but it was even worse when everything was absolutely covered in lights and shiny ornaments and greenery. Vision had found the ice skating rink nearby, and finally something looked familiar to me. I hurried out onto the ice, and the others also slowly trickled in. Everyone but Loki.
I looked at the entrance as I skated past and saw him near the door. I stepped off the ice and stood next to him.
"So..."
He smiled. "So what?"
"Wanna come skate with me?" His smile faltered a little and I tilted my head. "Lokes, have you ever skated before?"
He laughed. "I'm afraid not, darling."
I smirked and grabbed his hand, dragging him out. "Alright, first time for everything, let's go."
He tugged back on my hand as I skated onto the ice. "Whoa whoa whoa, love, let's not be too hasty..."
"I am going to skate with you, because 1. I love you, and 2. I promise you it's fun."
"That's not much of an excuse, my dear." He laughed.
I tugged his arm again. "Come on...skate with me..."
He sighed like he was contemplating it, and slowly stepped out onto the ice. I held his hand tightly and he almost fell over. He saved himself and wobbled around before slipping over and falling on his knees. He winced and his grip on my hand tightened. I held back my laughs and he glared at me.
"You know..." I laughed. "You're supposed to stay on your feet."
His glare got slightly more intense. "Yes, thank you for that."
I pulled him up and slowly skated backwards while he tried to keep his balance. He was a fast learner and he was easily able to skate around the big arena.
"You're doing amazing~" I said quietly.
He looked at me playfully. "I don't need to spoken to like a child, but thank you..."
As we glided around, Loki hit a bump and fell into my arms. I caught him quickly and held on tight to him. I smiled at him and laughed. He laughed back at me. "Thank you for the encouragement darling."
"Aw, come on, I didn't say anything~"
I watched the avengers slowly congregate to the exit and I helped Loki to get to the door. We sat down and I helped him out of the skates. He sighed. "That was arguably the longest hour so far."
We continued walking around New York and I was having a conversation with Sequoia when she suddenly stopped everything. She stared at a man with a family and her face slowly grew more upset and angry. Wind around us started to blow harder and I quickly made her look at me. "What's wrong, what happened?" I turned to get a closer look at the man.

*Flashback*

Betrana ; Sequoias pov

I had lived behind the bakery for as long as I could remember. They threw out bread and pastries most nights, so it was good for food. I knew at some point I had a home, but that was a long time ago. But someone found me one night, and instead of hurting me, they took me in. His name was Joe, and it was me and him against the world. He took care of me, enrolled me in school, and to be honest it was better than the bakery. When I was 15, Joe had told me to meet him at the park, and I went. He wasn't near the fountain where he said to meet him, but I waited. And waited. And waited till it got dark. When I went back to the house late that night, Joe was gone. Everything was gone.
It took me a while to bounce back. Everyone who had ever been in my life had left. I found a business in robbing stores. I found that if you stole certain important items and sold them, people would pay good money for it. After a few years, I was ready for a real challenge.
There was a party going on one night in June. I snuck in through a balcony after making a stone tower for me to climb. The castle was dark and I could hear people walking through the halls. I found my way to the Queen's bedroom without being spotted, and grabbed one of the necklaces from a rack above a dresser. I shoved it in my bag and climbed out the balcony.

(Y/N)s pov

I stood outside, avoiding the party as much as possible, when I saw a young girl climb out my mothers window and into the gardens. I looked around, and climbed after her. We ran through the gardens and she noticed me following her. She turned a corner and I transformed into a bat. I flew after her and transformed back when I had the girl backed into a corner.
I laughed, slightly out of breath. "You put up a good chase..." The girl stayed silent and I held out my hand. "Come on, I know you took something. You wouldn't be running otherwise."
The girl narrowed her eyes on me. "You're the princess, aren't you?"
I nodded. "Yeah, and I know you took something. So hand it over."
"What? So you can call the guards on me? I bet you already have some after me, don't you?" She growled.
I laughed loudly. "Bold of you to think those guys believe anything I say. I'm just the princess. They only listen to my mom and dad." I held out my hand. "(Y/N)."
She slowly took it. "Sequoia."
"Okay, hand it over."
She slowly reached into her pocket and pulled out a necklace. She plopped it into my hand and the ground under her grew and shoved her over the next building. I looked back at the necklace and studied it. My mother, nor I, wore anything that looked like this. I smirked and looked up where Sequoia had jumped the building. "You're on, Sequoia."
The next few days went by with multiple visits from Sequoia, and we had multiple conversations when I caught her. Sometimes she gave back the items, sometimes she handed over fakes. We became friends, and I looked forward to her visits.

Sequoia's pov

I knelt before the royal family as a new trainee to become a knight. (Y/N) had talked me into it, and I was done with being alone. (Y/N) had convinced me that I could trust people, and I wanted to put my powers and ability to sneak around to good use.
The year of training passed and I spent my off time with the princess and her personal guard, Blaze. I told her about my past and Joe, and she told me how she would rather be a warrior than the princess. But then Blaze was taken away to command the army when (Y/N)'s father died and the opening for her personal guard was open to the promising knights.
Me and the few other knights stood proudly before the queen and princess, and the queen gestured to her daughter.
"You may pick your guard now, my dear."
(Y/N) slowly went through the guards and took them away to talk to them personally, before coming up to me. She took me outside and I tilted my head. "You're picking me right?"
"Oh definitely but I had to make the others think they had a chance." She laughed.
We sat outside for the same amount of time before coming back inside and she chose me as her personal guard. From then on, we were insuperable.