24

The next month

Life went by smoothly. There weren't as many attacks on the city, and they were all by the same sort of tall, red, demon creatures. We had gotten used to fighting them at that point. Everyone had been decorating and getting things together for yet another holiday called Christmas. It sounded stupid to me, but everyone was so adamant that we needed to do so much for it. But today was an important day too. I found out today (courtesy of Thor) that it was Loki's birthday. No one else seemed to know though. I found the god in the library, like always, and slinked over as subtly as possible. He eyed me over the book he was reading.
"What do you want (Y/N)?" He set down his book slightly. I leaned against the bookshelf and smiled widely at him. His face drained. "You know, don't you."
I nodded smugly. "Yep."
He frowned and looked back down at his book. "Who told you? How did you find out?"
"Thor did~" I happily walked over and plopped down next to him. "So you're... 1055 now, right?"
He hummed. "That sounds right..."
I leaned against him. "How do you want to celebrate? It's still pretty early."
Loki pressed his forehead to mine and smiled. "Let me read to you. That's how I want to celebrate."
I kissed him. "It's your birthday. I'll let you celebrate how you want. And if that involves me, I will very happily take it."
He moved me over to the window seat and leaned against the wall. Loki motioned to me to sit with him and I leaned against his chest so he could hold the book over my head slightly. He conjured a blanket that covered us and read part of his book, and even though I didn't know what was going on in the story, I was content.
"Happy birthday, old man." I hummed.
He paused reading for a second, kissed my head, and chuckled. "I'm not that old."
I laughed and he reached down to hold one of my hands. I laced my fingers with his and kissed the top of his hand. He continued reading aloud from his book and I stared out the window as snow started falling. I pointed at it.
"Look...it's snowing..."
He turned to look outside and we watched the snow fall in silence for a long time. Loki slowly stood up and pulled me with him. "Come. Let's go outside."
We successfully made it to the park nearby without anyone realizing we had even left. I reattached my hand to his and stuck my tongue out to catch snowflakes. He laughed at my actions, but ended up joining me in the activity. We continued walking around the park and I cleared my throat.
"Why do only me and Thor know about your birthday?"
He looked down. "I don't like making a fuss about it. It's just a day, after all."
I smiled. "Well, how about some cake? There's that bakery near the candy store. I've seen it before. And..." I pulled out Tony's credit card. "We don't even have to pay for it!"
He laughed and gestured ahead of him. "Lead away, my love."
We bought a chocolate cake, and devoured about half of it before we were full and took the rest home. We made it back into the tower, got bombarded with questions about where we had gone and what we were thinking and all that junk, and retreated to our room.
We left the cake out, knowing it would be eaten by the both of us before the night was over. We spent most of the day in our room by ourselves but we came out for dinner and proceeded to confuse everyone on why we were spending so much time by ourselves. Except Thor. Thor understood.
Loki looked down at me as I fidgeted with his hand. "Why exactly did you have Tony's credit card?"
I laughed. "I went shopping with Wanda yesterday for Christmas and she gave me it to go off on my own. So I kept it. Speaking of which..." I slowly moved off of him, which resulted in Loki being unhappy that I moved in general, and grabbed a bag from my closet. "I got you a birthday present."
He looked at the bag and moved closer to me. "You did?"
"Mhm." I nodded. "Go ahead and open it..."
He carefully pulled out the box I had stuck in there and looked at me. "Oh, a box."
I scoffed. "Open it more. There's something in that box."
He opened the box and pulled out a dagger with a dark green handle. He touched the blade and smiled at it. I gestured to the bag. "There's one more thing in there."
He shifted through the tissue paper and pulled out a small green stuffed snake. He held it up and laughed. "Darling, what is this?"
"It's a snake! Obviously! Look how cute he is!" I picked up the head and pointed it at Loki.
He tapped the head of the snake and looked back at the dagger. "I do like the dagger though."
I laughed. "That thing took me a while to find. I also had to get Wanda to buy it without telling her what it was for because I couldn't figure out how."
Loki kissed my head and pulled me onto him. He ran his hands through my hair and chuckled. "It was a good birthday."
I hummed into his chest. "I'm glad you enjoyed it."

A few days later

Tony and Steve had sent me and Loki off into the city to buy a Christmas tree for the tower. We walked through the streets, following the map on my phone as we navigated through the buildings and came across the huge alleyway holding lots of Christmas trees. I wrapped my cloak tighter around me as the wind blew and shivered.
Loki looked down at me with a smirk. "Cold?"
I scoffed. "Shut up, blue popsicle." I mumbled and headed into the rows of trees.
We searched around for a long time and I found a tree that was even taller than Loki. It was fluffy, and based on the photos that Tony had sent us of 'good' Christmas trees, it was perfect. We dragged it out, paid for it because we learned everything costs money on Earth, and Loki teleported us home.
Tony looked at the tree that was laying on its side in the front hall and at the living room. He sighed. "I don't think it's gonna fit..."
I looked at it. "But...it's just a tree..."
"It's too tall! It's taller than Loki! He's over 6 foot!"
I started propping it up in the living room and Steve walked in. He laughed. "You do realize it's scraping across the ceiling?"
I rolled my eyes. "Shut up and help me Stripes!"
He pushed on the tree and it had an obvious bend towards the top. I studied it for a second and Sequoia walked in and laughed loudly.
"What...the hell is a tree doing in the living room?"
Tony sighed. "It's for Christmas."
"Is it supposed to be hitting the ceiling?"
"No Sequoia, no it's not. Unfortunately the two lovebirds couldn't get one that fit the living room."
I slapped the back of his head. "We tried!"
Natasha made her way past and did a double take at the tree before coming in. She chuckled. "So I'm guessing we sent some of the gods out to get a tree?"
I looked at Loki. "It's not that bad, right?!"
He rubbed the back of his neck and looked at the tree. "Well..."
I groaned. "I hate all of you."
At that moment Dr. Strange walked into the living room and looked at the tree. I fell back onto the couch with a grump. He looked at me, at the tree, and back at me. He nodded once he realized what happened. I gestured to him.
"Just say it. I got too tall of a tree. It doesn't fit. I know."
Strange sighed. "It's not...the worst thing that you've ever done."
I glared at him. "Gee thanks. I can really feel the love." I stood up. "I got you a tree. That's what you asked for. You can take care of it if it doesn't fit."
I headed out of the room. Loki and Sequoia followed me. Sequoia nudged my arm. "So do you know why pine trees represent Christmas?"
I shook my head. "No idea. But I know who we could ask."
We found Wanda in the kitchen making lunch. Thor was helping her. I hopped onto the counter.
"So Wanda." I said loudly.
She looked behind her for a second and made eye contact with each of us. She sighed and turned down the heat of the stove. "Alright what do the gods want from me?"
Sequoia clasped her hands together. "Christmas. Explain."
Wanda proceeded to explain everything about Christmas that we asked, including a whole bunch of traditions that were in it. She taught us about mistletoe, Christmas trees, Christmas music, and whoever Santa was.
After about an hour and a quick lunch, we were up to date with our Christmas information and ready for the next few weeks.

Tony's pov

Wanda told us that she explained all our Christmas traditions to the gods, including the mistletoe that we hung somewhere different every year.
I gasped. "I just got an amazing idea."
Wanda looked at me. "What is it?"
I looked around quickly to make sure (Y/N) and Loki weren't nearby and leaned in closer to the group of Avengers. "Let's have a competition..."
Sequoia tilted her head a little. "A competition to do what exactly?"
"Whoever can make the other two gods kiss under mistletoe first wins."
There was a pause of silence as I awaited a response. Nat laughed loudly. "You're on, Tony."
Steve nodded. "I'm in."
Sequoia held out her arms. "What's in it for us?"
I shrugged. "I'll buy you whatever you want. Under $200. But if I win you all have to pitch in to buy me something."
There were slow nods and after a little convincing, all the avengers had agreed to the competition.