Chapter 23

Jack's POV

I stared wide eyed at Vic as he explained his plan, I could barely believe our luck that we had an option to get out of this. Sure, framing someone wasn't ideal, that was for sure, but...if this guy was a criminal, then I didn't see much of an issue.

"Please tell me this guy actually deserves to be framed Vic..." Alex sighed. "Because the idea's great, it get's Kellin and Vic completely off the hook, and it's doable, but..."

"Yeah, that's the grey area I was talking about...he's a cop...and if I'm honest, the worst he's done is made simple human errors."

My heart sank, I was begging he wouldn't tell me he was an innocent, I don't know if I could sent an innocent man down for something we did. Hell, if he wasn't it was going to be emotionally difficult. "So...he's an innocent?"

"Yeah..." Vic looked sad. "Kellin's against the idea, because of that, but he said he wants to see what you two say first. I mean, I don't think he's totally innocent...he's a cop, and upon my digging, I found that some of the one's you've bumped off, are one's he let off the hook. But that's about the worst he's done and it was only like three or four I found in the records. He's certainly not the worst of them out there."

"How do you feel about it?" Alex asked, looking over at Vic.

"Well, personally, I just want to get Kellin out of there. You should've seen him guys, he was so...broken, depressed. If I hadn't got there when I did...he would've turned himself in, convinced them he was working alone so Jack was safe and taken the hit. I convinced him not too, but I don't know  how much more he can take. J know's how to get under someone's skin and Kellin's falling apart in there. So while, yes, I'm not too keen on sending a technically innocent guy down...I'll deal with the guilt. My main priority is saving the man I love and having a future with him. I don't want to be spending the next four hundred and eighty odd days counting down the time until I'm forced to leave him, he forgets me. It'll be worse because I won't even be able to be with him you know? I-I just want to get Kellin out of there, and I want you in the clear too Jack, I want to be able to see you Alex happy together. I don't want to have to see Kellin rot, or you, in jail. I know technically what you've done is just as bad as those you've killed...but you've saved lives! You only rid the world of the guilty, murderers, paedophiles who would only harm more children, rapists, people who stole from the poor. You've changed so many lives, for the better, and I think living with what you've done is punishment enough for you two, because I know it eats at you both sometimes...especially now."

"Vic has a point." Alex nodded. "I-I feel the same way."

"Does this guy have kids?"

"No, he has a wife, a brother and a father, I found out his mother passed just a couple of years ago, but no children. But look, and I said this to Kellin, who knows if he's innocent? He's a cop...he could've easily committed crimes and covered up tracks. What you read on paper isn't always the full story, you should know that. I would dig more, but we're running out of time guys, we need to make a decision fast. They're searching Justin's house in less then a day, which mean we have less then a day to frame him. Less then a day to rewrite all the names, in his handwriting, or make it close enough to be believable, get his prints on it, and plant it in his house. Under a floor board or something. So we need to decide fast."

"What about our other back up plan? With Matt?"

"Not going to work." Vic shook his head. "Right now, J's unsure if 'Ramiro' has been working alone, or not. I heard him speaking to one of the detectives and said 'I just can't work out if there is one, or more. I used to be convinced there was one, but now I think, there maybe at least one or two more helping some way. But I just can't be sure.' So I don't think that's going to save him, I think it'll only make it worse, because, if Kellin gets nailed for it, they'll only interrogate him further. He'll never give you up, but if they know there's more, which right now they don't, because you haven't written any names since Kellin got taken...they'll carry on looking. And if they found Kellin...you're not going to be safe either Jack. We only have two options here, and that's frame Justin, get Kellin totally off the hook and lay the notes to rest. Or, pray and hope for the best, but J's too good, I just know if we go with that options he'll make Kellin brake. He's dying in there." A tear slipped from Vic's eye. "I've never seen or heard him so...scared, so full of doubt, so full of fear. I don't even think I fully convinced him to keep quite. I only think I've managed to stop him from turning himself in for now. If he stays in there much longer...he's going to brake."