Chapter 1

Jack's POV

"There you are!" My mom smiled sweetly as I walked into our kitchen.
"Hey mom, sorry, I got caught up at college, had to speak to a teacher." Okay, that may have been a teeny tiny lie but I couldn't exactly say 'hey, yeah, I found this notebook and apparently if I write someone's name in it...they'll die.' Yeah, don't think that would go down all too well.
"Alright love, well your father is on his way home from the airport now and dinner will be about an hour."
"Ok, I'm going to go do some studying, call me down when dad gets here." I gave her a small smile and kissed her cheek.
"Alright love." She smiled warmly and I headed upstairs.

I switched on the TV I had in my room and dug out my English book, I hated studying, but we had tests in a couple of weeks and I really didn't want to fail and retake them. Plus the scolding I'd get from my father just wouldn't be worth it. If me, or my siblings ever got anything lower then a B, my god we'd never hear the end of it. My mom was more forgiving, as long as we didn't fail, but my dad wasn't. I remember when my older sister, May, got a C, she was grounded until her retake, I didn't fancy getting grounded.
I started making notes from my study book but the whole time my mind kept drifting on to that little notebook that was sitting in my bag.
What was I going to do with it? I mean, there was a ninety nine point nine percent chance it was a total hoax, but then that small point one percent that it could be real bugged me.
See that was the problem with us humans, we where too curious about the unknown. Always had to have the answers to unanswered questions. And right now, I had too many about this book.

First of all was...where did it come from? It was just there...on the floor and I knew it wasn't there before class, because I'd walked past that exact spot. Second was, of course, was it real or a hoax, that question really bugged me. Thirdly, if it was real, how did it work. It said, as the first 'rule' the humans who's name is written shall die...but surly, given how many people there are of the same name, there had to be other rules so those of the same name weren't effected.
I had tons of other questions, but they where the main ones, and you catch my drift.

Curiosity got the better of me and I put down my English study books and pulled out the little black leather notebook from my bag. I opened the first page and read through all the 'how to use it'

1- The human whose name is written in this note shall die.
2- This note will not take effect unless the writer has the persons face in their mind when writing his/her name. Therefore, people sharing the same name will not be effected.
Ahh, okay, so that's how it works, you need the name and face...makes sense.
3- If the cause of death is written within forty seconds of writing the persons name, it will happen.
4- If the cause of death is not specified the person will simply die of a heart attack.

Interesting, so, if I where to use this, which I wasn't intending too, I could either let them die of a heart attack, or make them die by other means.

5- After writing the cause of death, details of the death should be written in the next six minutes and forty seconds.
Wow, they like their time limits!

I had to laugh at myself, I couldn't believe there was actually a part of me that was thinking this could be real! It's absurd right? Killing someone simply by writing their name in a book, it didn't work like that, that's insane! Surly if it did work like that, there would be so many more deaths everyday! And no one would ever get caught, there would be zero evidence as long as they kept the book hidden! And the fact people would just simply use the book, rather then going out an murdering them like they do, in the ways they do. And there would be no way someone would just leave this laying around surly? Holding a book that could allow you to kill as many people as you like and just carelessly leaving it laying around? No, that wouldn't happen, it made no sense whatsoever.
It was a hoax clearly, a very well thought out and detailed one, I'll give them that, but it had to be. It was just not possible, or logical for it to be real.
It was a hoax, I was sure of it.