Chapter 24

Kellin's POV

I sat anxiously waiting for my father. I needed to speak to him. I was dying in here, I wasn't coping, I don't know how much longer I could hold on. I was trying so hard because Vic begged me too but the cracks where growing and I knew soon I'd break. I asked for my father to come in, in hopes that speaking to him will calm me a little. Just enough to keep me hanging on until Vic got back.

I'd been here two days now, two long horrible, torturous, pain staking days but it felt like I'd been in here months. I just wanted this over, one way or another. I knew I only had myself to blame, no one forced me to use the note. I used it of my own accord before Vic appeared. I found it, outside near my house on the way home from college. I only picked it up, in hopes I could find a name to return it too...and then I saw the 'rules'. I laughed it off as a joke, I never thought it could be real. But there was something about it that wouldn't let me just leave it, it was like I was drawn to it. It sat in my room for a whole day, I never intended to write a name, but then...it clicked to me when the news of another criminals death came on the news my mom was watching. I couldn't help but wonder if the note was how Ramiro was killing these people or whether I was just being stupid. So, I tested it, on another criminal, and sure enough...it was real.

I had a complete freak out, which is guess was an natural reaction to something like this. I mean, seriously, would you have believed something like a Deathnote could actually be real? After I calmed down, I knew this was how Ramiro was doing his work, it made perfect sense. I agreed with what he was doing, personally. I wanted to be a cop, and my father was a detective, and that's why I agreed with what he was doing. I'd seen too many dirty, filthy criminals be let back on the streets who just kept recommitting their crimes, and every time they got away with it, their crimes got worse. It made me sick just how much our justice system was failing poor innocent people. So while yes, it's a little extreme, it got the job done, it saved so many innocent lives and ensured those filth creatures could never harm anyone again.

I'd intended on just letting Ramiro carry on with his work, alone, after I wrote four names myself. Four names I knew couldn't be found by any public accessible means. I knew these four from my internship, I saw the awful, horrible things they'd done. I saw the guilt all over their faces, but every single one walked away free, not even with a warning. I knew one paid off a judge, two got let off on technicalities and the other was lack of evidence, because he'd been too smart to cover enough tracks. But then...Vic appeared. That freaked me out too, I mean, it was one thing having a Deathnote, but then finding out Shinigami's, gods of death actually exist...that was a whole other level of insane. I questioned Vic, he told me everything I wanted to know. He told me how he couldn't tell me if there was another note, or who had it, but told me how I could find out. And he explained the other uses of the Shinigami eyes. It took me a while to decide on if I should take them, I mean they cost me half of my life span...but I decided I wanted to help Ramiro and in order for that to happen, we had to work as a team. So, in turn I'd have to find out who he was. I already knew he was somewhere in Balitmore, J had deduced that already, so it was just a case of finding him.

Imagine my shock when I discovered Ramiro was my class mate, Jack Barakat. The whole time Ramiro had been right under our noses and he went around, just like any other nineteen year old boy at college. He would've been one of my last guesses. Although I knew J was hunting him, it didn't phase me, he was already going around unnoticed, unsuspected, and I thought the note was completely fool proof, no one would ever find us, especially with my knowledge. So, I approached him, and well you know how the story goes from there. But never did I think it would come to this. I knew there was always a small chance, but we'd done everything so right. It made me wonder why J even suspected me. Well, I knew now, he explained why I was a suspect, well sort of, but from what he said, it was nothing...solid. But J didn't need anything solid...he just needed a big enough gut instinct, because he knew he was good enough at his job to get under my skin. He knew that he would be able to make Ramiro break, it was just a matter of being patient.