Chapter 49: How to Give Snow White a Run for Her Money

When I woke up the next morning I felt sick. Not the kind of sick I was faking for the past few days but the kind where I'm going to puke my guts out sick.

In all honesty I knew it was coming. My meals had been scarce at best for the past week, one of the side effects of my anxiousness and I had barely been able to swallow them.

My eyes briefly traveled to my window where Jake's room stood solitary behind his dark curtains. Yesterday had been a mistake, he definitely knew that and I did too.

But I didn't feel like that it was. But then again when it came to matters concerning Jake Henderson I had learned that it was best to lock my feelings up and just divert my attention.

Usually to Alec.

Yesterday when I had come home I had decided to cut my stupid I'm so helpless I can't do anything on my own shit.

So I was going to actually be smart and use my usual assigned hour of self pity to coming up with a plan to finally end this war with Natalie in a way that she wouldn't dare to pull something like this again.

And that started with ruining any chances of a relationship she had with Jeremy Hoffman.

I dragged myself out of bed trying to cheer myself up with the look she would have on her face.

I told myself that I had decided to stop drowning in a lake of self loathing but Jake was true to his word when he had said that he would save me when I was drowning. Although he did it by reminding me that I was pretty good swimmer by myself.

I barely even looked in the mirror as I tied my hair, wearing my signature whatever the hell I find first in my closet and went down.

My grandmother is in the kitchen leaning on the counter reading a newspaper. When she looks up I smile up to her.

She gives a tired smile back and asks,"Feeling better?"

Her reminder makes my urge to puke along with a slight headache come back but I shake my head,"Hardly."

"You should eat something." She remarks and although I know she's right I'm in no mood to stomach anything. So I grab a nutrition bar and pocket it.

She gives me a glare and I sigh and sit in front of her and tear the wrapper and bite it. I give her a look as I dramatically chew it,"Happy now?"

She gives me a shrug,"I didn't say anything."

I roll my eyes grinning and she does the same. I hear Alec's car pull up and he honks twice.

"That's your cue ." My grandmother says and for a second I'm terrified of even getting up and I feel like I'm going to throw up the one bite I had.

Almost immediately I shake myself off telling myself to just stop. I was getting tired of myself, to be honest I needed better company than my mind.

I give my grandmother a quick kiss and she says,"Be safe, I'll be coming home late today."

"Love you, bye." I run out of the house and down the drive-

Oomph.

Good to know some things never change.

The ground had definitely missed my face. I get up slowly bruised all over. It had been a while since I had taken such a bad spill.

"Shit." Alec's already beside me somehow, helping me up,"Are you all right?"

I smile a little as he holds up my chin carefully and inspects my face for any damage.

"I swear to god Clara I'm going to have to put you in bubble wrap." He says reflecting my smile too slightly,"Please be careful."

"Oh you're just jealous." I say teasing him slightly, he's surprised I can see it in his eyes. For the last few days I had been acting a little better than the zombies in the walking dead.