Chapter 10: From The Outside

Fire crackled in the background as Sera curled up on the plush sofa

Fire crackled in the background as Sera curled up on the plush sofa. She stared out the half-frosted windows behind the fireplace while nursing a warm mug of chrysanthemum tea in between her hands.

She glanced back at the falling snow and froze. A flash of red blinded her for a moment and she could have sworn, she saw blood in the snow. Shutting her eyes, her grip on the mug tightened. She was back home and she was safe, nothing to worry about.

She kept reminding herself, focusing on the things she could actually feel, see, hear, smell and touch. This was real. She had won, she survived and she returned. She was home, well, a home.

It had been months since she was back. She managed to keep her promise to her family and be here for both her brother and her cousin's birthday. Nox was going to be a year older now and within days left until his birthday, he started to act more maturely and had started to help around the house even more.

Ramiel found it both troubling and endearing. Sera had the same thoughts, unlike Talisssa who was just happy for extra help.

That aside, her family had moved in time, just before winter had completely engulfed the district. They were all quite fortunate enough, any later and her aunt would have struggled against the bitter chill. The home she was assigned to in the Victors' Village was in her opinion one of the nicest houses she had seen. It was actually more of a manor than a house. The house was opposite the Foret house with a backyard facing a lake, appropriately named Lake Nike.

Sera's new home was between two other houses that were empty. Unlike Sera's childhood home, the new house was not a concrete shell. The exterior was a mix of wood, metal and concrete. The floors inside were polished wood, a sharp contrast from the uneven concrete floors of their childhood home. Still she missed that concrete shell, maybe it was nostalgia that made her miss it more.

Houses in the Victors' Village were nearly identical. Each house or manor was fenced off with ample room in the front for lawn arrangements. There were also light posts strewn across the village and built-in floor lights dotted alongside the roads and path in the Victors' Village that would turn on when the sun set. It was a stunning place to live in, very different from the concrete shells of the Hollow or the glistening towers of the Lux which looked cold from the distance. The Victors' Village had the perfect façade of being welcoming and warm. Inside the village was a whole different story. Victors that lived there, lived like hermits or in constant discord among themselves.

The village was sparsely habited. Wells lived further into the village, on the opposite of Lake Nike while Leora's house was next to Huxley. She hardly when she was home but Sera had spotted her old mentor Wells coming in and out of the house now and then. She would also hear the sound of distant arguments that she and the rest of her family did their best to ignore. Porter's house was nearby but she didn't know which one it was. She didn't really care. There was also another victor that lived nearby, he was older but more quieter than the rest. Nobody hardly saw him, he preferred to keep to himself. He might've had a family. She believed he did or maybe she imagined the light jovial chatter from that house and the sound of children laughing.