Chapter 57: Cruel to be Kind

As Sera tied the last ribbon around one of the bouquets, Finnick broke the silence

As Sera tied the last ribbon around one of the bouquets, Finnick broke the silence. "Are you heading back to Five today?" He inquired, hopeful that they'd take the same train back for the evening.

Sera glanced up, meeting his gaze in the reflection of the mirror. "No. I have a few things on my schedule." She replied, her fingers weaving through the flowers.

He tousled his hair and changed the topic. "What about tonight? You're free?"

She smiled wearily. "Unfortunately no, I'll be accompanying President Snow at the crowning ceremony."

Finnick's expression shifted, a mixture of wariness and concern creasing his brow. "Was that your idea?"

Sera's hands paused in their delicate dance with the flowers. She turned to face him, and for a moment, the air in the room felt heavier. "No," She admitted, her voice quiet but resolute. "It wasn't my idea."

"Snow ordered you." It wasn't a question, but more of a realization. "Probably trying to dull the impact of two victors. We've never had two."

"I don't see how inviting a third is going to help bury those two."

"Who knows?" He shrugged and grabbed his shirt, slipping it on. "Maybe he'll try pairing you with someone." His smile was there, but beneath the surface, a hint of hurt lingered, as if the mere idea burned him.

She snorted. "Yeah, that's a great idea."

"You think?" He swallowed the lump in his throat.

"Obviously, no." She shook her head and turned to look at him. "It's a stupid idea. He decides to put it into action and everyone—and I mean everyone would know it's not real. I've hardly ever been rumored to be with anyone."

"Apart from me—"

"—Which was funny thinking about it now—"

"—Because you didn't love me or even like me back then at all."

"Can you blame me?" She tilted her head to the side and gave him a pointed look. "You were kind of a stalker."

"I was trying to be friends."

"By stalking me?"

Rising from the bed, he came straight towards, stopping right in front of her. "I was trying to apologize for the whole elevator thing." He pointed out, pouting and Sera rolled her eyes. She buttoned his shirt. "You said I was being rude."

"I never said that."

"No, you didn't say that...exactly but I know you thought I was rude and I...felt bad."

"You didn't have to because I wasn't even thinking about you at all." He gasped and turned to look at the mirror in disbelief. She patted his cheek. "And I mean that with love."

He tried not to laugh but he couldn't help it. "Just so we're clear, you are one of the few people to call me a stalker."

"I'm pretty sure I'm the only one."