Chapter 39: Pulling Strings

T

T

hud.

Celsi stumbled out of the elevator and into the hall leading to the District 5 floor. He landed on the floor ungracefully, taking an expensive red crystal vase down with him.

The vase shattered across the pristine cream and gold marble floors with its crystal shards and metallic flowers marring the perfect floor. He lifted his head and muttered an apology.

Creon shook his head disapprovingly at the boy and walked over him despite his timid nature, Sera realized that Creon wasn't really timid but rather he had a low opinion of people from the districts.

A typical Capitolite.

With a sigh, Sera bent down and stretched out her hand towards the boy on the floor, being careful not to extend her bandaged arm. Celsi clumsily grabbed her hand and almost dragged her down but she caught herself in time and managed to pull him to his feet.

"I'm sorry. I didn't mean to do that." Celsi tried again and Sera only nodded. Her opinion of the boy had fallen to the floor and possibly to the earth below the floor. "I-I'll be careful next time."

"It's fine." Sera said. "Just don't do it in the arena."

Faline's gaze was on her clumsy partner and Sera noted how the girl observed each of her partner's moves with such focus, almost as if she was plotting against him before they even entered the arena.

"S-Seraphine." Creon stuttered out, turning around as if he just remembered his purpose as the escort of District 5. "Z-Z-Zephyr. H-have you two chosen who you two will be mentoring?"

Faline turned her head slightly towards Sera. Her eyes focused on her, not on Zephyr almost like she was trying to will Sera to pick her. The girl knew what she wanted.

On the other hand, her partner seemed indecisive. Celsi glanced from Sera to Zephyr. He didn't know who would be the better fit. "We...don't get to choose?"

His words made Zephyr crack a smile and Sera raised her brows in silent judgment before she too smiled or pretended to.

"Unfortunately, no." Sera said, motioning an avox to come and clean the mess Celsi had made before flipping her wrist up towards her to check on her wristwatch. "It would be a nice if you could. That being said, I have somewhere to be so I'll state my choice. I'll pick Faline—if that's okay with you?" Sera turned to Zephyr who nodded.

"I'll take Celsi then." Zephyr grumbled out, displeased with his own choice. It was clear, he did not want the clumsy boy as his tribute but he had no say in the matter.

"Wonderful." Creon clapped his hands together. "We'll have dinner and then—"

"I have plans for dinner." Sera cut in, checking her watch again and ignoring Creon's crestfallen gaze on her. "Though I can give an hour of my time for any questions or advice." She finished with a small smile directed at Faline.