Chapter 51: Illusion of Choice

"This is it

"This is it." Faline mumbled under her breath. Finally, her nerves had taken hold of her.

With a shaky breath, she looked at Sera with teary eyes and took labored breaths. A timer behind her ticked away as she started to shake.

"This is it." Sera repeated with a sad smile before pulling her close and engulfing her into a hug. "I'm sorry."

Sorry that it wasn't Faline, she'd picked.

Sorry that if it was any other year, she'd fight tooth and nail to bring her back.

Pulling back, Sera patted her shoulder and stood back. Faline's eyes teared up as she glanced at the small tube behind her. The tube that would take her to the arena.

"No tokens from home?"

"Tokens are useless, unless I can use them in the arena but I can't, can I?" Faline asked with a wry smile.

"No, they'll confiscate it like they did to the girl from District One. She had a ring from back home." Sera thought that girl was stupid but she didn't let her judgment leak into her words with Faline. "Twist the gem and a poisoned spike comes out, not the first time someone's tried that."

"She must've played stupid and said she had no idea." Faline tugged on her sleeve and jacket.

"Yeah, she did."

"Then I guess the token that girl from Twelve had was also rejected. It was a pin and maybe a pin can be used as a weapon."

"It wasn't." Sera didn't really remember a token on Katniss. She couldn't even picture it but she did hear about it. "It was a close call and there was a lot of back and forth before the board allowed it but barely. I have a feeling they'll be keeping an eye out on her."

Nodding her head, Faline rubbed her eyes and stared back at Sera with a blank face. "...Probably because the pin's a mockingjay pin." Her voice came out muffled and quiet but Sera could hear it crystal clear.

"What."

"Yeah, it was a gold mockingjay."

Blood rushed to her head and she felt her heart drop for a second as her mouth dried up. "N-no." Her voice came out strangled.

"Yes. I remember what I saw." Faline didn't take back what she said. "It was a gold mockingjay. I remember it. Gold is...well expensive. She wore it at the station. I saw it and thought she might be well off—"

"But she's not." Sera said quietly but her heart was hammering against her chest.

Faline never stood a chance.

"A gold pin is not cheap." Sera nodded at Faline's words. "It might be a gift. Why are you so focused on her? Since the start–"

"I'm not." Sera replied softly. Of course Faline had noticed. She'd be a fool if she didn't notice. "I'm just...looking out for you and your competition. That girl will be a bigger problem than the Careers."