Chapter 27: Fleeting Moments of Happiness

"Where do you keep your plates?" Aunt Dahlia stood on the tips of her toes as she tried to look at the overhead cabinets in Sera's kitchen

"Aunt Dahlia, why don't you go rest on the sofa." Talissa hurried over to her and was already escorting her out of the kitchen.

"And let you all do the work? I don't think so."

The typically quiet and darkened kitchen at Sera's apartment in the Victoria building was bustling with life that night.

Nox, Clarisse and Zephyr were huddled up in one corner busy peeling cloves of garlic. In another corner Huxley was trying to stop Ramiel from stirring the pot of sauce. While Talissa and aunt Dahlia searched for the plates—it was mostly Talissa trying to get aunt Dahlia to rest.

Sera quietly observed her bustling kitchen. A soft smile on her face while she busied herself chopping up some vegetables for the roast. She'd never say it out loud but she enjoyed their chatters in her typically quiet and gloomy apartment.

She eyed the dividers set between the living room and dining room before she glanced back at Zephyr and Clarisse.

Zephyr looked up and met her gaze. He smiled, getting up to leave Clarisse and Nox. "For someone who didn't want this, you look a little too happy."

He folded his arms against his chest and joined her in observing her family.

"I had a good reason." She pointed out. Her aunt was not fully recovered and neither was her brother. "I see you gave Ramiel your prototype."

"Not a prototype, it's the final version."

"You work fast."

"Would've been quicker if someone gave me permission sooner."

"You know why I didn't do that."

"You were afraid."

"I had a reason and..." She hesitated. Apologies were never easy, especially for someone as stubborn as her. "I'm...sorry." She breathed out with much difficulty, much to Zephyr's amusement.

"Aw, was that really hard for you?"

Her lips turned upwards and she stopped choosing. "I have a knife in my hand."

He put his hands in front of him defensively. "And I have a Clarisse." He said, craning his head to call Clarisse over.

Clarisse and Nox hurried over towards them. "Please tell me you two aren't fighting again." Clarisse playfully glared between her two friends.

"He started it." Sera pointed at Zephyr with the tip of her blade.

"Put the knife down."

"Can't, I'm doing something unlike you three."

"We'd help but someone would probably get sick if we did." Nox said without thinking. "I can help make the salad though."

Nox reached for another knife but Zephyr was quicker. "Don't even think about it kid, your mother's going to be very angry."