Chapter 50: Fatal Feelings

"Not bad

"Not bad." Sera rubbed Faline's shoulder as she got off stage. "You did good."

Faline bowed her head in appreciation as she scanned the passing crew and threw a fleeting glance at the baying crowd of Capitolites. She'd never see them again and the thought of it made her smile. A bittersweet feeling.

Her interview was forgettable and Faline liked it that way. She didn't care, speaking to Caesar only about her skill, not a single thing about her family or friends.

She didn't want them to get nothing from her, not one piece more. They were already taking her life.

It was tragically admirable for her. Maybe if Sera hadn't been so damned determined, she might've done something similar—no, she wouldn't have.

She'd be more like Haymitch or Johanna. Bitter and sarcastic, baring her real life to them all, mocking them. But she wouldn't. Her family would suffer in the end and she would never put herself above them. They were all she had.

Sera would never ever show or say what was really on her mind.

She couldn't afford to.

They would always get part-truth mixed in with lies.

Maybe that was why she was drawn to Peeta Mellark.

She didn't bother to watch any other interviews apart from the ones from District 12 tributes. None of the others really caught her eye.

She did catch a brief glimpse of the girl from Eleven. So small and weak, she looked like she'd break like a twig.

Katniss was surprisingly ordinary yet so nervous. Blurting out how she liked the lamb stew made Sera smile and the Capitolites chuckle. She didn't really know what to say—not a people person. Someone like Huxley.

But Sera's mood soured instantly when she heard those laughs.

There was also Katniss' show stopping dress. A nice touch, nothing too interesting to Sera, too unnatural on Katniss. The girl she'd met on the rooftop was nothing like the girl on the stage in the flaming dress.

The poor girl didn't belong on that stage.

But Peeta. He was someone Sera didn't have any expectations at all.

She didn't even bother to remember his name until that interview.

"Handsome lad like you. There must be some special girl. Come on, what's her name?" Caesar was up to his usual tricks again.

He took one look at the boy and thought he was too attractive to be lonely. He almost did the same to Zephyr during his year and actually did ask Huxley the same question in his year.

Sera was lucky that she was too young to be asked if she had anyone back home.

Obviously she didn't.

Sera felt bad for the poor boy but Zephyr didn't. He was just glad he didn't have to go through with the awkward dance.