Chapter 58: The Candle and The Coin

"What an exciting year!" Caesar roared, stepping out into the spotlight in his typical garish outfit

"What an exciting year!" Caesar roared, stepping out into the spotlight in his typical garish outfit. The crowd screamed out in joy at Caesar's address. "This year's been marvelous for the games, if I say so myself." He chuckled and looked at his crew with a pointed look.

They motioned wildly to each other and Caesar, pointing to the clipboards in their hands. Caesar was ahead of schedule. He had to be. The Head Gamemaker's interview was canceled at the last minute, now there was an empty gap in the broadcast and ceremony with no one to fill it. Well, no one but Sera.

"Not every year we get two victors let alone one from District 12!" He carried on with his improvised script. "And I have to say those two—the star-crossed lovers from District 12, there's no other victors like them or...will be like them." He laughed and the crowd followed his cues.

The silent message was obvious. Too obvious. It was clear that President Snow had sent a memo to him, telling him to emphasize that Katniss Everdeen and Peeta Mellark were one of a kind pair. The only pair that would get the chance to survive together.

There would be no other pair.

A clear warning for future tributes.

'Don't try what they did. You won't succeed.'

Caesar moved on and a chair appeared. "Now, usually this is the part where I bring up the esteemed Head of the games." Caesar continued. "But unfortunately, due to things out of my control, he's not going to be here tonight."

The crowd let out a chorus of 'aw's, disappointed at the absence of Seneca Crane.

"I know. I know." Caesar cooed, clutching his chest with a thin feigned sad smile as if he was heartbroken. "It breaks my heart to break away from traditions but come on, this year's been the least traditional year so far. We've got two victors for goodness sake! We've never had that before!"

Once again, he'd taken back control of the crowd.

"But I'm sure Seneca would've loved to be here. I mean we all spoke to him this morning and his little interview was amazing. It's just a shame that he can't join us tonight."

Because he was dead. His body had already been found 'officially' and his death hadn't been announced yet. They wouldn't or else they'd disrupt the celebrations.

"So we'll just skip right to the part we're all looking forward to but don't worry, you'll have an even bigger surprise later on."

Caesar clapped his hands together and the faces of Katniss Everdeen and Peeta Mellark appeared behind him, looking solemn and so much more innocent in their pre-games photos.

"Ladies and gentlemen, joining us tonight for the main event of the Victory Ceremony, our victors this year for the annual 74th Hunger Games, from District of the coals, District 12, Katniss Everdeen and Peeta Mellark!"